Search the forum,

Discuss Motorised valve - manual close in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, our conventional oil boiler heating system has only ever heated our radiators and our hot water at the same time; we have no isolated hot water control, just a timer that does both. I'd love to be able to just heat our hot water from the boiler during the summer.

I had a look in our boiler house and I can see what I believe to be a motorised valve which is set to Manual (always open?). My question is, could I switch this to Auto (closed?) during the summer and since we have possibly nothing that would electrically operate this valve would it heat only our hot water?

I moved this switch to Auto earlier although it seems to still heating both our radiators and HW. I've attached a photo of the valves and connections. Anyone any ideas of what might be going on here? Thank you!

Attachments

• MV1.jpg
    MV1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 14
  • MV2.jpg
    MV2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 14
That's a 2 port valve controlling your hot water (perfectly correct as you look to have a pressurised cylinder)
If its the only motorised valve you have you need another one on heating so that heating and/or hot water are independently controlled.
Do you have a room thermostat?

That's a 2 port valve controlling your hot water (perfectly correct as you look to have a pressurised cylinder)
If its the only motorised valve you have you need another one on heating so that heating and/or hot water are independently controlled.
Do you have a room thermostat?

Thanks for your reply.

It is the only motorised valve that we have. We do have a thermostat in our hall, but I'm almost certain it doesn't work. I recently took the face off it and the live in had no voltage.

Looking like you need to convert your system to 2 motorised valves (S plan) to get separate control.
You will need a working room thermostat and probably an new programmer (time clock)
May be worth considering something that could be smart phone controlled eg Hive Nest ect.

Looking like you need to convert your system to 2 motorised valves (S plan) to get separate control.
You will need a working room thermostat and probably an new programmer (time clock)
May be worth considering something that could be smart phone controlled eg Hive Nest ect.

Cheers. For my own info, what would be the use of the hot water motorised valve in this configuration? It was in 'Manual' position before I touched it.

Also, if the room thermostat was working would it be possible to have it turned down (off) and the boiler 'on' to heat hot water only, or am I out of luck altogether?

Thanks!

Basically I'd love to have a simple fix (even if it's to manually close a valve or something) to shut off the central heating so that our boiler only does hot water for a couple of months. :)

Your existing motorised valve is controlled by the thermostat on your cylinder all that valve will ever do is turn boiler flow to cylinder off. Heating will be always on with current set up.
You could turn all your radiators of except one .
Don't turn them all off chances are there is no bypass on your system
One radiator needs to be on.

Your existing motorised valve is controlled by the thermostat on your cylinder all that valve will ever do is turn boiler flow to cylinder off. Heating will be always on with current set up.
You could turn all your radiators of except one .
Don't turn them all off chances are there is no bypass on your system
One radiator needs to be on.
Ah ok, I hadn't considered that, good advice. Thanks for taking the time to respond 🙂

Reply to Motorised valve - manual close in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock