Search the forum,

Discuss More than one cold feed to Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an issue with lack of flow to an upstairs bathroom and wonder if adding an extra feed from the header tank to just above the gate valve would increase flow, I know it will add pressure. I'm also moving the header tank to the highest possible location in the loft as I only have about 300mm head to the shower. by doing this I hope to increase the head to 3000mm.

First of all, - have you considered other options?
An unvented cylinder will provide excellent mains fed supplies if you have decent flow and pressure from mains. Plus it does away with your cold tank. Needs G3 plumber though.
Or a seperate power shower, or a twin pump for shower or other supplies.
Putting a new cold pipe will not increase pressure, but might help flow and would be advisable for a shower or property with more than one bathroom.
Raising the cold tank a lot will help pressure but be careful to allow space above it for vent pipe height. Needs a seriously strong base constructed and new location needs to be strong enough or reinforced

Tried pump which failed in 5 months, costumer wants a different solution and hasn't the mains flow to go un-vented at this time. I should be able to increase head by 2.5m.

Cheers

Adding 2.5 m to the head will definitely help because you are going from virtually nothing of 300mm.
The shower valve would need to be a good flow valve and - shower head for that matter.
No point in expecting really good flow out of a bar shower.
Aqualisa valves have great flow on gravity as are very unrestricted internally, but I don't like their quality of build.

You must have a big loft space if it's going from 300mm to 3000...

Are you sure it's nothing simple like a scaled up hot outlet pipe?

Tried pump which failed in 5 months, costumer wants a different solution and hasn't the mains flow to go un-vented at this time. I should be able to increase head by 2.5m.

Cheers

Most decent pumps have a good warranty and even the cheapies have a year. You can't go wrong with a Stuart turner

Are there restrictions to flow in the hot pipe coming FROM the cylinder? Is it all 22mm pipe minimum and as few bends as possible, pulled rather than elbows? Is the cold feed TO cylinder 22mm minimum also?

Raising tank as well as increase the size of tank .... what size of tank do you have at the moment. Also where's the HW tank in relation to the cold one ? Also your outlets?

Was the pump directly off the cylinder? And if so did the cylinder have an anti cavitation valve? Pumps do not do well with air in them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to More than one cold feed to Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi Everyone, I'm moving to a megaflow from a regular immersion heater set up. The house has several showers and at the moment they are fed by gravity feeds from the immersion (hot water) and a top floor tank (cold water). All the showers are powered by (pressure drop) pumps which are fed by...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock