Search the forum,

Discuss Monobloc twin lever mixer tap leaking from spout with taps off! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have a Twin lever Monobloc mixer tap leaking from the base of the spout, there are many answers to this problem online, however, the majority of issues are when the water is on and the tap is running, in my case, the base of the spout is leaking when the taps are off.

Would this mean that both the seal on one, or both, of the tap handles and the base of the spout have gone?

I have attached a stock image of the tap we have.

The tap is roughly 1 year old, so still relatively new.

Thanks for your help.

Tap.JPG

It needs new o-rings.
Take it apart and remove one. Measure its dia accurately with a vernier caliper and then measure its internal dia by measuring the dia of where it sits.

If its leaking with the taps turned off, then, as you say, one or both of the ceramic disc cartridges has failed, and the spout seal is leaking in addition.

If you can identify the make and model of the tap, you can get prices for the parts. If you don't know the make and model I'd suggest going to a decent plumber's merchant taking an old cartridge and the tap handle and see if they can match the parts. Same thing with the spout.

Given that, if one cartridge is leaking, the other may not be far behind, it is probably better to replace both cartridges. The cost of these, together with the spout seals will probably be quite close to the cost of a new tap.

If its leaking with the taps turned off, then, as you say, one or both of the ceramic disc cartridges has failed, and the spout seal is leaking in addition.

If you can identify the make and model of the tap, you can get prices for the parts. If you don't know the make and model I'd suggest going to a decent plumber's merchant taking an old cartridge and the tap handle and see if they can match the parts. Same thing with the spout.

Given that, if one cartridge is leaking, the other may not be far behind, it is probably better to replace both cartridges. The cost of these, together with the spout seals will probably be quite close to the cost of a new tap.

Sorry but I disagree. All that's happening is that the water contained in the spout is leaking out past the duff o-ring(s). Sort those & it'll be good.

I agree with Dave’s diagnosis, to confirm this - remove the spout and see if water continues to leak from where the spout attached.
If it does then one or more cartridge is letting by, if not - it is just the spout orings ( it’s surprising how much the spout holds and this will be released slowly past the duff orings when the tap is off)

The most likely reason that water is dripping or seeping from under the water on and off valve is a loose fit of the crane box to the mixer or wear of the rubber gaskets. To eliminate this problem, make sure that the axle box is firmly attached to the mixer, as well as replace the rubber gaskets. If you have a ceramic crane mounted, then it is necessary to seal the silicone seal.

The most likely reason that water is dripping or seeping from under the water on and off valve is a loose fit of the crane box to the mixer or wear of the rubber gaskets. To eliminate this problem, make sure that the axle box is firmly attached to the mixer, as well as replace the rubber gaskets. If you have a ceramic crane mounted, then it is necessary to seal the silicone seal.

Hell! And all the while I thought it was the inlet/out manifold gasket orifice clunged to the extended squeeze box. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Reply to Monobloc twin lever mixer tap leaking from spout with taps off! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock