Search the forum,

Discuss Monobloc tap tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I've just fitted a monobloc basin tap. There were tails supplied with it but it impossible to tighten them with a spanner as the ends are sunk up inside the tap. On the instructions that came with the tap the tails are shown with what looks like a couple of inches of rigid section to connect to the tap but mine haven't.
I have just tightened them by hand by using the flexible. I know O rings shouldn't be tightened too tight and there are no leaks but I'm not 100% happy with it as they loosen very easily. Looking at Screwfix etc I can only tails with one long rigid end and one short (I assume some taps have offset connections).
Does anyone know where I can get tails with rigid ends or any other advice please.
Thanks, Graham

Would have said in the destructions hand tight only. If you use a spanner you could shred the o rings.

I know the type you mean graham, yes I usually just tighten by hand - allow the flexi to twist up a little and it should go tight, don’t overdo it or you could kink/damage the flexi part.

As to the ones with one long one short rigid section, just buy two pairs and use both long - the two shorts can be used later on a more accessible tap.

Thanks for the replies. It says in the instructions to tighten with a spanner but be careful not to over tighten, but they show tails with a long rigid section which you can get a spanner on. What I've done is as above; tighten by hand allowing the flexible to twist slightly and as it's connected to copper with a nut and olive left it with slightly tightening bias. So I think the choices are leave as is, get the Bristan copper tails or buy two sets of flexibles. Am I correct in assuming the are normally 10mm?

Never seen monobloc tails that should be tightened with a spanner, every one I've installed has been hand tight only.
Maybe there's some special instructions for builders that say tighten with a spanner, it also says don't use inserts and make sure to use PTFE on compression threads.

No!

They are equally likely to be 12mm.

I would just leave it if it doesn’t leak, most flexies have double orings so one is in the threaded section and one snugged up to the base.

Touch wood I’ve never had one leak, but I have had one shear off - so it’s probably best to err on the side of under tight than over tight!

Reply to Monobloc tap tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock