Search the forum,

Discuss Modulation - Should I Expect Efficiency in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. Looking for some advice on thermostats.

I've got a Vaillant 835 Ecotec Plus set up but have not yet installed a thermostat.

The house is approx 100sqm, a victorian terrace but fairly well insulated under the ground floor and in the loft. It has two zones: 25sqm of liquid underfloor on a grundfos recirculating pump and the rest of the house is serviced by column radiators.

The radiators have been over-specified in terms of total surface area with the aim of being able to run them at a cooler temperature for longer periods of time whilst still having a good overall output.

Is there an advantage in terms of efficiency regarding going the way of a modulating thermostat like the VRC720F if I don't ever intend for the radiator flow temp to go above 55c? Or will I achieve the same level of efficiency with a standard learning thermostat that doesn't support modulation? I'm struggling to see the benefits of modulation as opposed to just sticking the boiler on a low temperature and letting a non modulating thermostat (like google nest) figure out when to turn it on and off.

My intention is to have the underfloor on a simple on/off timer to maintain a constant surface temperature of the floor and to have the rest of the house gently boosted by the rads.

Thanks!

If you use Vaillant controls there will be more control over zone water temperatures. So each zone can have its own heat curve set to the correct level for that circuit. This adds to efficiency by only heating water to a necessary temperature. It is more accurate in my opinion.

A lot is personal preference to be honest and before the sensocomfort was introduced, I would have steered you away from Vaillant controls. They did do the same job but were not as intuitive as they are now.

Hi BEASTLORD666 - you're question about efficiency, is good.

Regards modulation and efficiency - you're asking (it seems to me) - why would a controller be better than the boiler on it;s own devices?
IE
* the boiler will itself modulate the flame down - as Return temps rise -when controlled by ON/OFF from simple controller
The question then: would it use less gas - with addition of a eBus/Opentherm controller (like VRC720F) - because that can 'tell' the boiler exactly how to modulate (with the extra data, that it has - of room temperature.

Although in your well insulated house -it quickly gets to temperature: so most of the time - the Flow temp would be close to Set Temp - so boiler mostly modulating down anyway: So extra data from the Room temp is of little value.

So does any one know ?
  • Is there a possible gas saving if the controller can tell the boiler to Hunt ON/OFF in a better way (ie less short-cycling better than the boiler would do on it's own?

Reply to Modulation - Should I Expect Efficiency in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I recently had the Vaillant weather comp VRC720f and VR71 fitted to my hot water tank, radiator circuit and UFH downstairs (run via heatmiser). My aim is to run the boiler on modulation at a low temperature. I've figured out I can heat the home well on a minus temp day at a flow temp of 45...
Replies
Views
I am considering replacing my existing boiler with the new 2023 Vaillant ecotec plus 625 boiler. I currently have 3 x Heatmiser neoStat thermostats that are all hard wired back to the wiring centre; one for the central heating, one for a room with UFH, and one for the HW. I use the Heatmiser...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
Hello, We got a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive Green IQ 835 combi boiler in November 2021 as we wanted the most efficient boiler that modulated really well, especially for heating. Two weeks after the installation, the heating engineer needed to recalibrate the boiler and after that we started...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock