Search the forum,

Discuss Modern oil boilers in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, just looking for info on oil boilers and heating controls.

They seem to be a bit behind gas boilers in terms of efficiency, would I be right in thinking that weather compensation and modulating output isnt common amongst the average modern oil burner?

That leads me to my question, in rural areas where gas is unavailable and the houses are old and poorly insulated do you think that biofuel/biokerosene will be the best option?
I cant see many people being able to undertake the deep retrofit needed for a heatpump but perhaps combined oil and air to water will be utilized.

appreciate any info!

An old post but I'll chuck my thoughts in. As above the Navien is capable of weather compensation or opentherm, a two stage boiler, with high, low function and dual temperature outlets.
Weather compensation is possible on other oil boilers. Probably the most common way would be with a buffer and electronic mixing valves governed by an outdoor sensor and pre set curves. Grant do a similar system using a mixing valve, although I'm not familiar with it.
Now, EOGB are soon releasing a fully modulating oil boiler called "The Sapphire" I don't think it's available yet but it won't be long.
Also another development soon to be available is HVO fuel (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil). It has a higher calorific value than kerosene and claims of around 90% CO2 reduction, that is a massive step forward and I believe The Sapphire burner has been tested on this as well. With only minor adjustments to current oil systems this new fuel is going to be a game changer.
There is the option of a hybrid as mentioned above but they are quite large units and to some a bit of an eyesaw.

Just throw one of these in 😜

3F47E9A0-436C-499E-8DE8-93F0BBB6B279.jpeg
D3BEEFC5-FB60-479E-9E7C-6D86ECA3C46E.jpeg
74512525-AB12-4C74-A17E-81226FB673BA.jpeg
76E2A2F1-7154-4556-AAF9-29B3B37D747E.jpeg

No experience on non domestic burners, that will change if I can get back to work though. What output on those two stage buddy?
Boilers are rated to 350kw each, got the burners sat delivering around 300kw each. Now the heating off, one will do the job.

They’re around 50ish years old, no documentation but in essence, they’re simple and a joy to work on.

When I first got the call for them, they were getting sooted up and required a clean weekly. A proper service/commission later and I give them a clean before and after each heating season.

Cleaning the chimney was hard work, 35 meters....

Reply to Modern oil boilers in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock