Search the forum,

Discuss Modern ballcock parts for old cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All - I’m trying to temporarily retrofit the broken ballcock mechanism for my (very) old toilet cistern (needed for 3 months before sufficient money is available to revamp the entire bathroom). The vertical inlet pip can be seen in the attached (the white pipe on the right hand side. Does anyone have any ideas on the modern parts that could potentially retrofit this cistern? Thanks!

Attachments

• D6518DF9-84AB-4EEF-9C0F-602534994572.jpeg
    D6518DF9-84AB-4EEF-9C0F-602534994572.jpeg
    909.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 4131995F-FCD9-481F-9449-A09E98C58C7F.jpeg
    4131995F-FCD9-481F-9449-A09E98C58C7F.jpeg
    948.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 4E7A0BA8-C183-4E29-8667-6E4AB26100E8.jpeg
    4E7A0BA8-C183-4E29-8667-6E4AB26100E8.jpeg
    921 KB · Views: 20
A Torbeck valve, whilst not always the most reliable type of valve long-term, will fit just about anywhere, even in slim cisterns like yours. Bottom entry type is required. If you're revamping soon-ish and want to guarantee the cistern walls will not interfere with the float, I'd be fitting a Torbeck.

I'm a fan of these:
They fit into quite tight spaces and work really well. Get from somewhere that allows returns (e.g. Screwfix) and measure it up carefully before attempting to fit to confirm whether it's suitable.

I'm a fan of the Fluidmaster too but that cistern really is tight, especially with that "indent" running down the corner of the cistern. Whilst Fluidmasters do fit in most spaces I'd think there was a fairly good chance that protrusion will interfere with the float despite the "back side" of the float not protruding far.

By all means give one a go if OP fancies it but I suggested the Torbeck because it is guaranteed to fit.

The Fluidmaster is a better valve overall though I agree.

I am sure I have fitted a new version of this cistern recently. Speak to somewhere like Wolseley or city Plumbing. The new parts may work with the old cistern.

All - thanks for great input. I’m going belt and braces and replacing the old valve with a identical one from ToiletSpares.co.uk. Thanks for spotting the Fordham model👍🏼👍

Reply to Modern ballcock parts for old cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock