• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Mixing metals on compression fittings in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hillabaloo

Reaction score
Annoyingly I have used a copper nut on a steel isolation valve and the corresponding steel nut on a compression copper fitting (15mm). Should I dismantle and redo? I will have to buy a length of plastic pipe and new olives as well as drain system. Or will it be OK?

chris watkins

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sure it is steel & not a chrome plated brass fitting? It would be very rare for steel to be used as it rusts.

king of pipes

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I very much doubt you have ? Never seen a copper nut on a steel valve i think you are getting confused please post a picture so we can see your delemia. Kop

Riley

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
You’re fine ;)
Your bigger issue would be if you haven’t put inserts in the plastic pipe or the wrong sort of insert

Last Plumber

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
It will be fine (as long as you used inserts mentioned).
For future reference, the valve is Brass which has been Chrome plated and the gold coloured nut is Brass. There are stainless steel and plastic components inside the valve.

OP
H

Hillabaloo

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies. A great relief. I did use inserts in the plastic pipe.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
The ones with the extra blue o ring eg the super seal ones ?

OP
H

Hillabaloo

Reaction score
The pipe has the blue plastic lining, but the inserts are solid white. See picture. Should I use different ones for copper compression fittings?IMG_20190604_085300.jpg

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Correct ones for compression fittings :)

OP
H

Hillabaloo

Reaction score
Thanks. Very reassuring. Just googled and educated myself on the two types of insert. Pure chance that I bought correct ones.

Millsy 82

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
What olives have you used on the speed fit? I've had a couple pop in the past and now only use copper olives as they dig in better.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom