Search the forum,

Discuss Mixer Tap Help! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Brand new to this forum so please be kind! Recently taken in a project to redo my ensuite and have thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning new skills along the way however I'm coming across is bit of a stumbling block with regards to a mixer tap.

I decided to bring a main cold supply into the ensuite so that I could get a glass of drinking water from the tap without the need to go downstairs (convenience mainly!) and the hot water is on the house F&E system. The problem this caused was that there were differential water pressures.

Installed new rainfall shower and at the same time changed over shower pump to a ST shower mate 2.6 bar twin pump as the previous salamander had broken (after about 18 months)

Initially I ran a mains cold feed with PRV and check valve to the cold side of the mixer tap (it's a tap mixed within the body of the tap) and set bar to 1.0 it's recomended running pressure. Hot side I initially tried the hot water from cylinder storage using a shower power booster unit on the pipe in the bathroom just prior to the tap again with check valve. This didn't seem to work and I can only assume it's due to the shower.power booster giving around 0.4 bar (for one unit) I believe causing a differential water pressure. I could get one or other (hot or cold) but not a blend. Change of plan....

I decided to then try and use the shower pump to see if this had any positive impact. I disconnected hot feed to shower manifold and added a temp piece of pipe with PRV and check valve and fixed this to hot side of mixer tap. Again set PRV to 1.0 bar (not sure if this is advisable in long run with the pump providing 2.6 bar, not sure if it would burn pump out? Again tried it...I could get a good flow of water either hot or cold but then I turned of cold, tried to add hot it would remain cold. Having searched forums I saw that the aerators cause issues so thought I'd take that off and try and blow me down, nice blended water!

The current aerator looks to possibly be a low flow one maybe 4-5 ltd/ min so I've ordered another at 9ltr to see if less resistance might solve the issue?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on what I could do?

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Reply to Mixer Tap Help! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock