Search the forum,

Discuss Mixer shower pipe sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We have a mains shower mixer. It used to be a Mira but I replaced the mixer tap some years ago. Just recently I thought I'd replace the shower head too because it's getting long in the tooth and the swivel ball joint is rather corroded and has lost some of its chrome plate. So I purchased a new head, but the fittings are different - it has a female 1/2" BSP thread on the back of the swivel joint, to screw onto a threaded pipe (the existing one has a flange on the end of the pipe and a female nut into which the swivel joint screws). I bought a new pipe as well, but it turns out that is a bigger diameter than the current piping, which is 15mm chrome pipe. The new shower pipe looks to be around 18mm dia, so while it fits the shower head, it won't fit the wall bracket. Everything from the mixer tap up to the shower head is currently 15mm. Is there some way I can convert between the two, or do I have to either buy a new mixer tap or just abandon the idea and stick with the old fittings?

Many thanks

Nick

I’d suggest one part is still attached to the shower arm

Picture pls

Here you go. General view, valve, wall bracket, old head, new head.

IMG_20190716_100512139.jpg

IMG_20190716_100518106.jpg

IMG_20190716_100522855.jpg

IMG_20190716_100528949.jpg

IMG_20190716_100603902.jpg

are they both the same thread eg the the new one screw onto the old head?

I think more like male iron to male iron, ie a 1/2” nipple barrel - brass would do as you could cut it down so none was showing . Will cost less than a quid.

Shower engineer, yes, that looks ideal. Thanks. Ben-gee - not sure I follow your suggestion all that clearly. I get that I could screw one end into my existing nut on the end of the shower pipe and the other into the shower head, but surely there'd still be the brass flange showing in between (although maybe there are chrome plated ones available too?). I also like the idea of replacing the nut at the wall end which has lost some of its plating.

Thanks very much both

Reply to Mixer shower pipe sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock