Search the forum,

Discuss Mixer Shower Fitting Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

I am having a problem with fitting a mixer shower in our spare bathroom, I live in a new build flat (6 years old) and the shower that was originally on there was forced on, which is why it always leaked on the left side because the threads never truly lined up.

I took the shower completely off this weekend to try and replace it with a new one, however, because it doesn't line up I can not connect it, I can connect the right side just not the left, it is mm out and I don't want to force it on. You can actually see on the pipe work the threads on the plastic have deteriorated from being forced on.

Has anyone got any tips on how to fix this problem? I am a pretty avid DIY'er but when it comes to this kind of work I don't want to mess around. I also don't have the capacity to take the tiles off the wall either. As you see I have had to put end caps on each pipe and also plumbers putty just to ensure no leeks occur.

Under all that is just a grey plastic pipe.

It was such a poor job that was done before and the old shower is ruined due to limescale.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Joe
Unknown.jpeg

You may be able to ease one pipe over a bit.

I would try the right hand one as it is on the corners of 4 tiles.

Using a suitable drill bit (they look like ceramic tiles so should be ok, - try a Bosch blue construction bit if you need to buy one) carefully drill a series of holes and remove bits of tile - you have up to the size of the cover plate.

With any luck you will be able to see some screws holding the fittings in place, loosen them and ease the fitting over.

Depends on what fittings are used of course, but all you can do is investigate.

Alternatively; many bar mixers have slightly “floating “ fittings which allow for slight misalignment of pipe centres eg hansgrohe ecostat bar valves. However mot much play usually only a mm or so.

Reply to Mixer Shower Fitting Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock