Search the forum,

Discuss Mixer Shower and Gravity Fed System in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

About 10 years ago we had a new mixer shower fitted. However, the most we ever got out of it was a trickle - even from the beginning. At the time I looked up the manufacturers installation instructions and it says that the showerhead needs to be at least 1 m from the bottom of the water tank we have in the loft. At this point I thought that we had made a costly mistake and was annoyed with the plumber for not getting the job done properly. As a temporary measure, I fitted a shower hose over the bath taps and it has been working okay for all these years.

I’m now finally getting round to seeing if I can fix the built-in shower and a few things don’t make sense to me. Firstly the pressure doesn’t seem too bad. From the video below you can see that it seems reasonable. The outlet here is about 1.5 m from the underside of the water tank in the loft above.

View: https://youtu.be/kyxN3vqHYJM

Then when I fit on the mixer unit, I can only get a trickle as shown in the video below.

View: https://youtu.be/re0UISNxwoE

According to the manufacturers instructions, I think I should be getting much more flow than this. If anyone can give some advice I’d really appreciate it.

Check to see if the inlet filters are blocked. Check is it piped the correct way around? There’s obviously a restriction of sorts after you fit the valve. What model of Bristan is it?

Check to see if the inlet filters are blocked. Check is it piped the correct way around? There’s obviously a restriction of sorts after you fit the valve. What model of Bristan is it?

It’s a D CSHXRR C Bristan Art Deco Thermostatic Shower Kit . Not sure where the filters are. I am not seeing any.
[automerge]1595259010[/automerge]
I should have said, my family are putting pressure on me to fix the shower ASAP - I just wish it was the shower which had the pressure not me :)

Last edited:
You only show the right hand side flowing well- this should be the cold.

Is it possible this is the mains, and only the hot side is from the tank?

You only show the right hand side flowing well- this should be the cold.

Is it possible this is the mains, and only the hot side is from the tank?
Looking at it again - that is possible. But even if that's the case, shouldn't the flow be good when the shower is turned fully to cold. At the moment its poor no matter where the temperature controls are.

Today I took the shower into the garden and connected it to the mains via a hose. The flow was a bit better but far from adequate. It seems like the mixer cartridge is reducing the flow considerably. Is that normal?
[automerge]1595333668[/automerge]
They should be on that elbow that you pointed at the wall. Also check both isolation valves are open and balanced supplies.
My father in law and I connected up the shower unit to the cold supply at mains pressure on both sides to make sure the supplies were balanced. As you can see in the following video, the flow is still poor....

View: https://youtu.be/EOJljVy6sME

Have tried to contact Bristan, but they are impossible to reach at the moment. Will keep trying.

Is this a faulty mixer? Are we missing something?

Last edited:
Worth a go even though you say it has never worked from the beginning, I read somewhere that showers like that should flow ~ 9 LPM @ 2M head without the shower head attached so should have been belting it out at mains pressure, you might be able to disassemble it for a good inspection.
For interest attached is a good description of a competitor's thermostatic shower (page 24 onwards)

Attachments

• Thermostatic Mixer Valve Control.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

Reply to Mixer Shower and Gravity Fed System in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock