From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Missing Waste Water Trap? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I'm new here and would really appreciate some help, please.

I have just discovered that my wet room drain should have a waste water trap. It doesn't, it's essentially a hole in the floor. The drain has always given off unpleasant odours, especially on hot Summer evenings.

My question is.. how dangerous is this likely to be? Is the nasty odour it's emitting (it's an eggy/dirty/mouldy sort of smell!) actually a health risk? There's no window in the bathroom so it's particularly difficult to ventilate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Aquarius

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello,

I would think there’ll be a trap of some sort, rather than just a hole. Could you post a photo of said hole?

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
I imagine that the dip tube is missing.

In answer to your question, if this is connected directly to the drains and not into a gully/hopper, then the foul smell is from sewer gas and yes it is potentially dangerous/unhealthy.

Thank you both for your replies. Attached is a photo.
To elaborate, when you flush the toilet you can hear the waste water draining away to the sewer from the wet room drain itself.
IMG_20200526_150925414.jpg

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Do you have any other components?

There should be a screw down cover with a dip tube attached and possibly a separate cup/tube to catch sediment...

This is the only other part of it. Its a rubber cover that sits in the top, presumably to catch hair. We were told to remove this while showering. There's no other parts at all, and this certainly doesn't screw down. Thanks again everyone for replying.

IMG_20200620_165032928.jpg

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Very belated but thank you so much to ShaunCorbs and Aquarius for all your help, the advice was invaluable and yes it was the Mcalpine seal ShaunCorbs shared. All sorted.

Much appreciated guys.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
thank you for the update

Reply to Missing Waste Water Trap? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbase - Plumbers Forum Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Plumbing and Plumbers

Plumbing Workwear

Shower Power Booster

Plumbase Spares - Plumbing Supplies and Spare Parts

Water Underfloor Heating

CORGI Direct for Plumbers

The Wetroom Store

Plumbase Spares