Search the forum,

Discuss missing isolation switches between PV panels and inverter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

According to one site, these should be fitted. But my recently fitted system, by professional/certificated installers, doesn't have isolation switches between the two PV strings and the inverter. It does have an isolation switch on the output of the inverter before it feeds the house between meter and consumer unit.

Should I be worried, should I call the installers back in to get them to fit the switches?

Thanks, @snowhead, I can see the cables from the PV arrays where they come into the roof and trace them to the inverter, so I am fairly sure I've not missed them.
I guess it is possible I am looking for the wrong thing? The isolation switch on the output is a classic red rotary thing on a yellow background.

there's a switch on the side simply labelled on/off.
checking the manual ( https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/pdfs/sofar-hyd-user-manual.pdf ) on the Sofar inverter this is described as "DC Switch".

but reading further, it says in the operation section "DC isolator is correctly connected between battery & HYD-ES inverter, DC isolator: OFF;"
and then further: "Switch ON the battery. Turn ON DC isolator between battery & HYD-ES inverter."

now, the battery packs are connected directly to the inverter too. there's just the one isolator which is the mains output from the Sofar down to the consumer unit input.

I contacted the original supplier who said that yes, the inverter's DC switch is for the panels, but they still recommend separate isolators. Also, they recommend separate isolators for the batteries.
And finally they recommend an isolator on the EPS output of the inverter because otherwise you have a mains socket somewhere which will "always" be live.

At the moment, the only isolator is on the feed from the inverter to the junction box with the meter and consumer unit.

Reply to missing isolation switches between PV panels and inverter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just moved into a house and in process of renewing sealant around the shower cubicle. Feel free to skip to the bottom to get the question! There’s a gap (20mm in length & 3mm height) at the bottom of the frame (where it meets the shower tray) closest to the wall that appears to have been...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have have purchased 3 Mermaid wall panels to replace the tiles in our shower. These panels are 3mm in thickness. After removing the existing wall tiles, I have discovered that there is a gap around the entire shower tray, in some places the gap is greater than 3mm, the thickness of the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock