Search the forum,

Discuss Milwaukee vs makita in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo25

Gas Engineer
I like the look of the Milwaukee brushless fuel. How does it compare to the heavy duty makita version? Also which brand would you choose when looking down the range of tools for the future I.e. Circular saw. So that you can interchange batteries.

Both milwaukee and makita are know to be market leaders is it just personal preference? What do you guys think

If you haven't committed yourself to a particular battery yet, you could also look at Hilti. Their cordless are largely 22volt and now have 5.2 a/h batteries. Not as expensive as you would think, if you buy on a deal. Hilti batteries are expensive though! Metabo are also worth considering.
But I do notice a lot of top professionals use Makita, or Milwaukee.
As you say, it is personal preference. I wouldn't have Hilti gear if I hadn't have started buying my first tool from them. I am very happy with them, but your above choices are very nice in the hand and designed to impress.

Last edited:
I prefer the Makita. The electrician we use had the Milwaukee drill and had no end of trouble with it. He got his money back and bought a Makita instead.

Never had makita, as I had mates who had them when lithium ion battery first came out, and the batteries kept dieing and we're forever sent them back.
I have the milwaukee 18v SDS and had it for about 5 to 6 years with same batteries, also the 12v impact driver and drill driver. The drill driver packed up last year and I replaced it with the 12v Combi Drill, still with original batteries and they are about 4 to 5 years old.
I find the impact driver a bit weak, but I am using it to put 3"x10 screws in. The Combi Drill puts them in fine.

makita all day, batteries are very good (havent had one die yet :D )

impact drivers are very good can drive lags/bolts in all day easy

Milwaukee for me, have the new fuel brushless impact driver and combi drill with 5ah batteries and they are good, the torque and hammer out perform my works supplied equivalent.

Both excellent quality tools. I've got a few Makita machines but having recently bought Milwaukee Fuel gear with 5.0Ah batteries, there is no comparison. Beastly powerful, batteries last forever and feel really nice in your hand.

I like the milwaukee gear but its bonkers money.. been using makita or hitachi since I bought my makita stick battery drill in 96'ish :)
I need a complete new cordless kit soon.. if the Milwaukee stuff justifies the money I would be pretty tempted.

milwarkee for me, metabo are good as well, got a corded metabo drill from 1980 still working :)

I have a metabo angle drill , it's the dog's nads, really high torque will take 50mm auger bits

I like my wee 4amp 10.2 drill/driver in fact all my tools are metabo

We use Makita cordless gear and touch wood haven't had any issues. Make sure you buy the high end stuff though especially combi drill. The lower level stuff isn't worth it.
However I have the Milwaukee core drill and it is excellent, definitely the best hand held core drill I've used.

Whatever you choose you will be stuck with it for a very long time.

I use Milwaukee because I bought a kit about 8 years ago. 18v and 12v
Now I have more chargers and batteries than skins.
It would not be viable to change brands due to the tools and batteries I have.
Saying that - I couldn't be happier with Milwaukee

Whatever you choose you will be stuck with it for a very long time.

I use Milwaukee because I bought a kit about 8 years ago. 18v and 12v
Now I have more chargers and batteries than skins.
It would not be viable to change brands due to the tools and batteries I have.
Saying that - I couldn't be happier with Milwaukee
I agree, I have milwaukee and never had batteries outlast the tools before with other makes

Have Makita everything (circular saw, angle grinder, impact, combi drill, vacuum, jig saw, radio, multi tool, palm sander, heavy duty drill) use the 4ah and the 5ah batteries and have never had a problem. Dropped the drill off a third floor scaffold and no a problem with it.

I do love my Milwaukee kit but I think you get better overall value with Makita especially if you are thinking of extending your kit beyond the usual drills.

Just make sure you're comparing like with like. The brushless Mak tools are labelled "BL" but it isn't always clear in the listing whereas you know Mil brushless are defined by "FUEL" and take into account battery capacity when comparing prices/kits.

Have Makita everything. Dropped the drill off a third floor scaffold and no a problem with it.

Must be the way it landed.
Today I dropped a Milwaukee impact driver from 11 metres - and it was completely fecked.
I think the battery is salvageable - might need some tape - I see if it charges tomorrow.

PS - I had to sweep the remnants of the drill up

Cable ties and gaffa tape can fix anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Milwaukee vs makita in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock