Search the forum,

Discuss Mid position valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Im trying to diagnose a problem y plan system that won't go to mid position but will go onto heating or dhw only, would that indicate a faulty valve or programmer issue? It's a Drayton ma1 mid position valve

With stats calling for heat the valve will go heat only or Dhw only I would say valve u/s as the programmer appears to be working ok as previous comment check with multimeter to confirm

3 Port Valve Operation
The valve itself has three plumbing connections - in, out A and out B.
Regardless of other settings, at least one of the outlets is always open, so it is always possible for water to flow through the valve.
Outlet A is normally connected to the central heating, with B used for hot water.

Electrically, the valve has 5 wires:

• Green/Yellow, Earth - connected to the metal body of the valve.
  • Blue, Neutral - internally connected to the neutral side of the motor.
  • White, Live in 1 - Activates the motor inside the valve to select either AB (both) or A (heating)
  • Grey, Live in 2 - Used with the White wire to select outlet A only (heating)
  • Orange, Live Out - this is used to switch the boiler on when the valve is at position A.
No power
With no power applied, the spring holds the valve in position B, so water only flows to the hot water cylinder.

Power on White only
The motor will move the valve to the mid position AB, so both heating and hot water are selected. Internal switches and other components ensure the motor is held at this mid point.

Power on White and Grey
Here the motor will move to position A (heating only). When it gets there, an internal switch connects white and orange together, and this output is used to activate the boiler.
This results in a noticeable delay when switching on heating only, as the motor has to move the valve from B to A. This takes several seconds.
Hope this helps

3 Port Valve Operation
The valve itself has three plumbing connections - in, out A and out B.
Regardless of other settings, at least one of the outlets is always open, so it is always possible for water to flow through the valve.
Outlet A is normally connected to the central heating, with B used for hot water.

Electrically, the valve has 5 wires:

• Green/Yellow, Earth - connected to the metal body of the valve.
  • Blue, Neutral - internally connected to the neutral side of the motor.
  • White, Live in 1 - Activates the motor inside the valve to select either AB (both) or A (heating)
  • Grey, Live in 2 - Used with the White wire to select outlet A only (heating)
  • Orange, Live Out - this is used to switch the boiler on when the valve is at position A.
No power
With no power applied, the spring holds the valve in position B, so water only flows to the hot water cylinder.

Power on White only
The motor will move the valve to the mid position AB, so both heating and hot water are selected. Internal switches and other components ensure the motor is held at this mid point.

Power on White and Grey
Here the motor will move to position A (heating only). When it gets there, an internal switch connects white and orange together, and this output is used to activate the boiler.
This results in a noticeable delay when switching on heating only, as the motor has to move the valve from B to A. This takes several seconds.
Hope this helps

Great stuff mate

Reply to Mid position valve problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hello, I hope someone can give some advice with this problem. I have a Vaillant ecoTec plus 418 with Drayton MA1 mid-position actuator, Drayton HTS3 cylinder stat, Honeywell DT90E room stat and Drayton LP522 controller. Boiler fires up reliably, but after it cuts out as soon as the DHW...
Replies
Views
Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW off Thermostat turned to on Heating comes on as normal, valve moved to CH position After around 20 minutes the 3 way valve moves to mid point and...
Replies
Views
We are considering buying a house which currently has a 20 year old Ideal Icos boiler, so we're factoring in replacing the boiler soon. Current boiler is on an external kitchen wall with the flue going straight out. However, it's positioned in between a door and the kitchen window, quite close...
Replies
Views
G
Hello Since moving into my property in 2016, I must have been through 5 or 6 mid position valves of various makes. I am just about to swap over the current Drayton MA1 which was installed 8 months ago because it now has the same fault as all the previous ones. The fault is that sometimes (not...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok. Now one radiator won’t get hot. ALL rads contain water, I have bled all rads. No hot water getting to flow pipe of cold rad. All other rads are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock