Search the forum,

Discuss Mid position actuator newly installed issue in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I had a Drayton ma1 mid position actuator recently installed as central heating had stopped working. Now my heating and hot water will not come on at the same time (with timed settings) and I have been advised that my thermostat is not working which is causing the problem (from the emergency plumber that had come out). I’m slightly confused as surely if I manually turn my central heating on and the hot water is working then the ma1 should move to the mid position which it does not.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe he means the room stat?, have you tried turning this up?, if its the old rotary type then you should hear a click from it each time you turn it up/down past the actual room temperature.
Does the CH come on if selected only?.

Hi the plumber did say the room stat and I am happy to replace. My confusion is more over the fact that if I turn the heating on manually my hot water and heating don’t work together as the actuator does not move to the mid position...and the actuator is new?

Won't that still be controlled by the room stat?, manual to me means CH on 24/7 and not timed but still to the mid position valve via the room stat.

Don't know, if the stat has a rotary selector turn it up and down then up again, if your hear a click each time it's unlikely to be the stat and probably a wiring fault. Can you put it in manual, turn up the stat, turn off the HW and see does the valve move fully across to the other side, port A I think. You might post a pic of the room stat.

If neither heating or water come on when instructed to do so by the controller either the home is warm enough AND the hot water tank is full of hot water OR you have a wiring problem

its unlikely that both the room stat and the tank stat have both failed so getting somebody competent to check our the heating wiring it the next step forward imho

oops yes.

OP is your room stat programmable?
No it’s an old one (pic below). Thanks for your help with this..
F757C4C2-15FF-414F-A29A-EB216A655E36.jpeg

One thing that puzzles me slightly: who replaced the mid pos valve? If it was the emergency plumber - did you pay him directly or via a scheme? Either way, why not get them back? If you’re getting heating independently and hot water independently then I’d suspect the mid position valve wiring, not the room stat.

Thanks for your help it was an emergency plumber through a company and he did come back out and that is what they advised.. I will call them again and say I am not happy and want a second opinion from another plumber at their company
What did their invoice say and how did you pay them?

To be short, if you can obtain water without heating and you can also obtain heating without water, but not the both together, then it would be really interesting to know how this can possibly be a thermostat fault. To be frank, the company could prove the fault is in the thermostat within 10 minutes if they know even basic electrics.

Please check the new valve says "mid position" and not "diverter" on it. A diverter valve will not stop in the middle and will give you heat OR hot water but not both at the same time, usually giving priority to hot water: have they fitted the wrong type?

Plus, as other have asked, can you get the room thermostat to click on and off? Without knowing that answer, it really isn't worth us speculating further.

Please check the new valve says "mid position" and not "diverter" on it. A diverter valve will not stop in the middle and will give you heat OR hot water but not both at the same time, usually giving priority to hot water: have they fitted the wrong type?

This is a goldmine point. Op has said it’s a MA1, that said it could be a ZA1 which is the diverter

This is a goldmine point. Op has said it’s a MA1, that said it could be a ZA1 which is the diverter
I'm wondering whether the OP has looked at the old valve which was presumably replaced, or has looked at the box, or whether the OP will confirm that that is what is written on the new valve.

Reply to Mid position actuator newly installed issue in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock