Search the forum,

Discuss Meter move to vacant meter position in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I live in a block of 5 flats. The 5 meters are mounted outside in a row, according to the flat numbers, 1-2-3-4-5. Flat 4 is a rental and had the gas meter removed many years ago, although the meter box (minus the door) pipework and back plate remain, there is a padlock type device where the lever valve is on the other meters.

We are flat 1 and would like to move our meter from position '1' to the vacant position '4'. This is to allow our outward opening entrance gate to open inwards, currently it would hit our meter. To the untrained eye it looks straightforward... (lol).

My question is whether a gas safe engineer can do this or do we need to approach the supplier/national grid. any idea of the cost would be appreciated. We are in London.

You'll need to contact your Gas supplier to arrange relocating the meter, if Nat Grid need to be involved the supplier will arrange it.
You'll also need a Gassafe engineer to move your pipework to the new meter position.
If you rent you'll need the Landlord's permission.
If you lease you'll probably need the Freeholder or Managing agent's permission.
You'll also need the permission of the owner of flat 4 as you'll need to alter their pipework and you'll need to repair / replace the box.

It may be simpler to move your supply to what would be position 6.

Although the mechanical side of the work is simple enough it's not going to be a simple job due to the number of other people involved.

Even if you did move the meter to the "vacant" box, wouldnt your existing meterbox still be in place? Each live service has a reference number relating to it (an MPRN).

Reply to Meter move to vacant meter position in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock