Search the forum,

Discuss Meter in house, Value out of house ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I have my gas meter in the house and shut off vale ECV out side were the meter was before, not very convenient but is this correct reg's wise ? (This work was done yesterday by gas provider)

I also have a small leak by the boiler and gas supply has been caped off in ECV value.

If anyone wants a job I'm in Northampton NN3

Attachments

• 15768572890303788674285012655064.jpg
    15768572890303788674285012655064.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 15768574169688931884758342136981.jpg
    15768574169688931884758342136981.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 15768574639298491943506009154351.jpg
    15768574639298491943506009154351.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 38
I wouldn’t be happy with that

The normal way they do it is leave the reg inside the meter box (externally) and adjust the pipework and move the meter internally with a new lever valve

Also if the leak was present at the time he shouldn’t of started working (his work ) until the leak was sorted customer side

Is that because it's a Smart meter and it won't fit in the Box?
(I used to do commercial so I'm used to slightly larger meters, in slightly larger boxes. :) )
And there's a shortage of pipe clips.

Is that because it's a Smart meter and it won't fit in the Box?
(I used to do commercial so I'm used to slightly larger meters, in slightly larger boxes. :) )

I wouldn’t say so looks like a standard red and black button meter

Prob down to a few being stolen

Thanks for all your reply's sorry about the awful spelling
I was hoping there might be a reg's book to keep too like for electric's BS 7671
That may state wether it's correct or not

Also no one fancy fixing it ?
[automerge]1576881945[/automerge]
I was hoping there might be a reg's book to keep too like for electric's BS 7671

Fixing the leaky boiler I mean.

Regulations for Gas Safe Enginneers regarding meters.

" (2) Where a meter is installed or relocated in any premises in either case at a distance of more than 2 metres from, or out of sight of, the nearest upstream emergency control in the premises, no person shall supply or provide gas for the first time through that meter unless he ensures that a suitably worded notice in permanent form is prominently displayed on or near the meter indicating the position of that control "

I'll put a "suitably worded notice in permanent form" by the meter then

I assumed you would have to have a shut off valve next to the metre,
Call me crazy but not having this makes it inconvenient for a single person to get the correct pressure for a test.

I would contact Cadent, express your concerns and ask for the meter installation to be inspected. You need to do that only after you have had the downstream leak rectified.

With respect to the Regulations, if the Gas Safe Registered engineer who rectifies the downstream leak is unhappy with the meter installation and location of the ECV he/she will report the specific issues to you as At Risk.

From the photographs you have posted:

As a minimum, the correct labelling (Emergency Contact and location of ECV) on the meter installation does not appear to be present.

The on/off label at the ECV is not apparent from the photograph.

Equipotential bonding is also not shown in the photographs. (Albeit this is important, but not to my knowledge, not an At Risk non compliance)

Do you know why the meter was moved from the external housing into the premises? In my experience ( North London to Oxford), the suppliers will not ( well rarely) fit new meter installations inside the property. They (new meter installations) are also very rarely fitted without an anaconda (spelling?) connection to the upstream to the regulator.

Irrespective of my observations above, I think that the installation is dreadful, but, following minor amendments, probably within the Gas Safe Regulations. Others may be able to see other non compliance(s) that I have not picked up.

As intimated by an earlier poster - Cadent will be more interested in why the meter was relocated when there was a downstream gas leak. If the correct procedure had been followed ( let by and tightness test before commencing Work on the installation) the leak would have been identified before the relocation work commenced. The installation would then have been capped off with no further work being undertaken.

Last edited:

[automerge]1576881945[/automerge]

Fixing the leaky boiler I mean.
water or gas leak...........

Last edited:

Reply to Meter in house, Value out of house ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock