Search the forum,

Discuss Metal "lugs" on old taps (for square holes maybe)? Any problem with removing them? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Some old taps have what I'm describing as metal lugs (but just because I can't think of any other word to use!!) like these:

Taps.png

Am I right in saying that these are for when fitting to sinks with square tap holes?

If so, besides a hacksaw, are there any ways of making these compatible with sinks that have round holes?

I have actually had a go with a hacksaw and I think it worked well, but from a plumbing point of view could it cause any problems? The taps I tried it on are used so I don't want to do the same on new (old stock) taps if it isn't a good idea.

Here's a couple of photos of what I did.

Many thanks

IMG_20210513_134234860.jpg

IMG_20210513_134241973.jpg

Yep that’s fine could use a grinder if your careful

Slightly off topic... But on the subject of those metal "lugs".... If a tap has them, does that mean it is old? If so, when did they stop putting them on taps?

And was their purpose to make for a better for in sinks with square holes, or do they serve another purpose?

Cheers

Slightly off topic... But on the subject of those metal "lugs"***. If a tap has them, does that mean it is old? If so, when did they stop putting them on taps?

And was their purpose to make for a better for in sinks with square holes, or do they serve another purpose?

Cheers
And yet I have a feeling I've seen them on taps that aren't old, but that presumebly are made to an old pattern. May be wrong - it may have been on a job where I was refitting an existing tap. Sometimes modern tap holes are large enough that the lugs will fit inside the round holes.

My understanding is that they were to prevent tap rotation. Presumably they disappeared after silicone sealant replaced the use of putty for sealing around taps to save money to allow for greater flexibility in installation.

Thanks for your response. That's interesting. Certainly with the taps I have hacksawed they did not fit into normal round sink holes. But I don't have brand new sinks so that could be why I guess...

Cheers

Reply to Metal "lugs" on old taps (for square holes maybe)? Any problem with removing them? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock