Search the forum,

Discuss Mentorship for portfolio in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Are there any qualified Gas safe engineers who mainly work on boilers (servicing/repairs and some installations) who could help me build my portfolio? I’m also happy to learn on other appliances too but boilers would be my priority.

I have nearly completed the theory side (open book exams) but need a placement before I can go on to complete my ACS. I am aware there are loads of people in my situation but I thought I would try on here even if there is only a small chance.

I understand this is a lot to ask and I am willing to pay a fee (depends on how much though). You would need to be a calm and patient person as this is the only way I can learn. If you feel you can help and you live in any of the following areas then please private message me:
Merseyside, Wirral.

Mentor first then course. Training centres who are happy to take money with no mentor in place should be shot. Many never actually achieve their ACS due to this.
Exactly. My teacher keeps telling me to find a placement myself saying that if I really wanted one I would find one...he does not seem to understand how difficult it is.

Last edited:
It is not easy and he knows it. Possible he owns the centre and as he is not under any obligation to not accept people with no mentor. College I go to for my resits every 5 years does not take students on unless they have a mentor to sign off work. They get grants though and are under pressure to have a high success rate of passes on the course.

It is not easy and he knows it. Possible he owns the centre and as he is not under any obligation to not accept people with no mentor. College I go to for my resits every 5 years does not take students on unless they have a mentor to sign off work. They get grants though and are under pressure to have a high success rate of passes on the course.
He does not own the centre but he keeps insisting it’s up to me even though they did say they could sort me out a placement before I started (but nothing in writing). The thing is without anything in writing he is probably right as I don’t think verbal agreements count.

Last edited:
Afraid not if only verbal. It is up to you to find a mentor. I think though they should not take money if someone does not have a mentor in place. Without it you can not sit the ACS test. They should sell you a book and take it away and learn the theory while securing as mentor first. Then pay them for their promise as it is now achievable with a mentor to guide, teach and develop the theory in to practice with the end result you proving you understand the theory and everything else. It's a hard slog and it does not get any easier after, in fact it gets harder.

Afraid not if only verbal. It is up to you to find a mentor. I think though they should not take money if someone does not have a mentor in place. Without it you can not sit the ACS test. They should sell you a book and take it away and learn the theory while securing as mentor first. Then pay them for their promise as it is now achievable with a mentor to guide, teach and develop the theory in to practice with the end result you proving you understand the theory and everything else. It's a hard slog and it does not get any easier after, in fact it gets harder.
I think they genuinely are trying to secure a placement as I've not paid any money yet but I'm scared of getting a big 'I owe you' after finishing the course but not securing a placement. I always knew when I went into this it would not be easy as gas is a massive subject but I am enjoying the course & once I get the practical experience I think that will make a massive difference. I think it must be like giving someone a book on 'how to ride a horse' but not actually putting them in the saddle. Things on paper always seem so much easier.

Glad they have not had your cash off you. I hope you get a start somewhere and get experience. You just need to keep trying, I suppose. Most people end up a plumber through a family connection or friends dad. Very hard to find someone who is prepaired to train the next addition to the competition. Established companies with a few vans out on the road might struggle for labourers on occasion and you may get a start. Lots of small one man bands in this game who can have a feast one month a famine the next hard to commit to establish someone else.

I ended up going with a centre that provided a paid mentorship. Cost £1500 fo myself and each of the guys i put through but essentially seemed the only option. The mentorship aspect involves a fair bit of work on their part, they’re not making any money out of you and you’re going to be completion in the near future so can’t see many businesses jumping at the chance of helping a stranger for free.

Reply to Mentorship for portfolio in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone My name is Daniel and I've recently completed my ACS gas engineer class room based work. I need to complete my portfolio. so is there any gas engineers out there that are willing to help me complete and give me some experience mentoring me? I'm willing to pay, work free of charge...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to jobs. I would be happy to observe and support where possible. I am now working towards completing and submitting my portfolio. I understand that this...
Replies
Views
I was finished my plumber course level2 need company o man to signature my portfolio. I was finished last year. I try to find company no easy to do that please anyone can help me about. I was working one week for a man he no answer the phone now. Please need help about thanks Diego Greater London
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock