Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflo 145DD in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys im looking for some advice, im a individual commercial heating engineer and i bought a megaflo eco for my place. Are the air bubbles reliable? As in worth the extra money compared to fitting an external expansion vessel. I don't have my G3 so going to pay a registered plumbing company to fit it. Anyway any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers

You would have a bit of extra space with a concealed unit but if the air gap was to fail you would need to install an external vessel, or by a new unit anyway. You'll lose a bit of space yes but it will make life a lot easier for the technician in the future and save you money because pipework won't have to be altered at a later date.

I've been fitting Megaflo as standard for about 10 years, have one at mine and approx 50 I maintain and never had one fail. They are simple to recharge and definitely a good quality unit. Everyone has their preferences but I stick with what works for me. Immersion also seem to last a lot longer than other brands we maintain.
As with everything make sure it is installed correctly and you should be fine.

I've been fitting Megaflo as standard for about 10 years, have one at mine and approx 50 I maintain and never had one fail. They are simple to recharge and definitely a good quality unit. Everyone has their preferences but I stick with what works for me. Immersion also seem to last a lot longer than other brands we maintain.
As with everything make sure it is installed correctly and you should be fine.
Great reply mate thanks for that. I will go with the megafo 👍

Had a few MegaFlos fail with the internal expansion, but you're talking like 15/20 year olds. OSO I find fail after about the 10 year mark and have to be regenerated about every 3 months.

As other's have said you can just add an external expansion when they do. An external expansion is more likely to fail quicker than an internal expansion bubble in my experience.

Had a few MegaFlos fail with the internal expansion, but you're talking like 15/20 year olds. OSO I find fail after about the 10 year mark and have to be regenerated about every 3 months.

As other's have said you can just add an external expansion when they do. An external expansion is more likely to fail quicker than an internal expansion bubble in my experience.
Cheers mate had some great advice, like I say I'm an industrial commercial heating engineer and have done a good few calorifiers on site but never one with an internal bubble and not domestic, plus iv never been around them long enough after to say what works best ha. Much appreciated mate.

OSO combination valve is set to 2.1bar; if your bubble is failing in three months do you have a higher inlet pressure?
Their one is lower than most, which are 3bar - I find 2 bar fine for me but I know some people expect more these days!

OSO combination valve is set to 2.1bar; if your bubble is failing in three months do you have a higher inlet pressure?
Their one is lower than most, which are 3bar - I find 2 bar fine for me but I know some people expect more these days!
No, they're on the std 2.1 inlet control. I'm on about older units here. I found that Indirect units that were fitted by our company around 10/12 years ago, the bubble only started lasting 3/6 months before needing doing again. A few i've fitted external expansion vessels to.

I've had a few control groups start leaking too, out the ends.

I know the control leaking out the end problem, seen it in old megaflo too. Usually take it apart to be met with a load of rust and super stiff spring.
A lot of the old single piece combination valves are now replaced with component parts, as it’s usually the pressure reducing valve that packs in - the separate component route is probably the best, although no balanced cold built in so you end up needing a bit more space with separates.

I know the control leaking out the end problem, seen it in old megaflo too. Usually take it apart to be met with a load of rust and super stiff spring.
A lot of the old single piece combination valves are now replaced with component parts, as it’s usually the pressure reducing valve that packs in - the separate component route is probably the best, although no balanced cold built in so you end up needing a bit more space with separates.
Tbh I just replace them with the Caleffi combo valves. Rarely have any trouble with them and the pipework is nearly the same with minimal alterations, plus they're about 1/4 of the price of some of the other valves!

Hi i had my megaflo 145dd direct cylinder fitted today by a g3 qualified plumber, on completion of the installation he filled the cylinder and the immersion heaters were leaking from what looked like the back nuts, which are plastic not brass. I have attached a picture. does anyone have any experience with this issue? The installer contacted megaflo?baxi who are sending someone on tuesday, so no hot water till then. Ps the cylinder did not come with the immersion spanner as it was supposed to. Anyway any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Attachments

• 210509954_4324721004244647_2391098172538172783_n.jpg
    210509954_4324721004244647_2391098172538172783_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi i had my megaflo 145dd direct cylinder fitted today by a g3 qualified plumber, on completion of the installation he filled the cylinder and the immersion heaters were leaking from what looked like the back nuts, which are plastic not brass. I have attached a picture. does anyone have any experience with this issue? The installer contacted megaflo?baxi who are sending someone on tuesday, so no hot water till then. Ps the cylinder did not come with the immersion spanner as it was supposed to. Anyway any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Are you sure they are plastic? I thought they were Black powder coated metal. The cylinder should have come with the key, had it not been opened and sent back by someone else prior to you receiving it?

Are you sure they are plastic? I thought they were Black powder coated metal. The cylinder should have come with the key, had it not been opened and sent back by someone else prior to you receiving it?
Hi not as far as I know the company that installed it also supplied it, in regards to the back nut im pretty sure it's plastic, in the spare parts page of the manual that came with it it says black plastic. Apparently when the installer phoned yesterday they said they had a few ppl phoning with the same issue.

The black back nut has always been painted metal as far as I'm aware (although anything can change in this industry). However whatever it is made of it will possibly just need tightening up. It essentially compresses the immersion plate against a rubber washer that seals on the cylinder. It may be that they have had a batch of poor washers or just not tightened them up correctly. As you need to be G3 qualified to work on these there's not much you can do, although I would expect most installers to have a spare key and washers or at least be able to source.

I don't understand why people are saying internal bubble fails fit exspansion vessel, surely you follow the instructions and replenish it. Worked on both types and both need regular maintance, recharging bubble a consumer can do, recharging exspansion vessel you should get a qualfied person to do

Reply to Megaflo 145DD in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All. I have found this forum extremely useful, keep up the good work guys. I was having a conversation with a colleague of mine, he reckons megaflo make the best hot water cylinders but I suspect his bias might be because megaflo dont have an external expansion vessel, which makes it look...
Replies
Views
This is a weird one, for sure... I had an old Vaillant combi replaced by a new Worcester Greenstar 4000 by Boxt. It was as simple a job as you can imagine - direct replacement... my house is a simple 2 up 2 down semi - nothing remotely complicated. However for the last two months since it was...
Replies
Views
I’m at my wits end! Moved into a flat a month ago. Aqualisa Aquamixa bath tap mixer. Only ran cold from shower despite hot water everywhere else (bath taps, sink taps) Showerdoc advised new cartridge. Bought (grey ring). Fitted. Didn’t help used original brass screws as new wouldn’t fit...
Replies
Views
Hi all, fairly new to G3 work as recently certified (!). Done a couple of installs from scratch, all good. Job here is to retro-fit a balanced cold circuit from a Gledhill unvented to a recently refurbed bathroom that now has all mixers (apart obviously the toilet). Cylinder has Reliance...
Replies
Views
Hello , ive recently gone out on my own, i have been working in the industry 15years now /g3 qualified and i would just like to get some advice from the knowledgable people on this forum! i have done a lot of installing but haven't really got involved with the design as somebody else has done...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock