Search the forum,

Discuss MCS PV installer wanting to add ST in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saint

I am an MCS PV installer. I want to be able to offer Solar Thermal to our customers. I can see two ways of doing this.

A. Use a plumber with the all the necessary qualifications.
B. Train up myself.

If i go down the route A i get employment / subcontracting issues. i.e. employment - keeping someone busy enough to justify employment. Sub contract - may not be available when needed.
So i'm thinking of route B. But i'm not sure what's involved. From what i had read there is possibly lots of training . What courses do i need to complete as a minimum? I know a PV installer who only had to join a Part P scheme and complete his 17th edition to become MCS registered with Napit. Is there a fast track for Solar Thermal?

Any advice welcome
Thanks

I Might suggest that if you do it yourself you will only need to do a solar thermal course, to do the solar thermal installation and then use a plumber to do the cylinder changes. I have done this with a company for a number of years and it works well, the reason I suggest this is because invariably when the customer gets you on the job they usually want a few other plumbing jobs doing which might then test your plumbing knowledge.

Thanks, yes i will be using a plumber to work along side me for the experience he would bring.
I can't find a ST course for me that doesn't require NVQ level 2 etc etc.
Any suggestions?

Hi saint

in this case if you only intend to install one manufacturers kit, it may well be worth going on a manufacturers course.

Hi,

Might be better to team up with an independent ST installer that way your businesses should compliment each other, we get a lot of enquiries for PV but because it's a totally different technology we say no to potential business.

A potential problem as pointed out by Unguided would also include an awkward cylinder coil or heating system that air locks taking an electrician hours to solve where a plumber can often see a potential problem before it becomes one.

A lot of people disregard the likely hood of leaks where the roof mounting brackets are fixed to the roof (same with PV) a lot of plumbers have the experience to properly flash the pipes and brackets (well us old school one's do) :)

Hi There,

The MCS Inspector will want to see that whoever is installing the Solar Thermal be it yourself or a subcontractor has been on a certified solar thermal course such as LOGIC or BPEC.

This is essential.

Happy to answer any questions.

The MCS Inspector will want to see that whoever is installing the Solar Thermal be it yourself or a subcontractor has been on a certified solar thermal course such as LOGIC or BPEC.

The MCS document stipulates the person must be competent. AFAIK a manufacturers course is enough to satisfy the likes of NAPIT.

The MCS document stipulates the person must be competent. AFAIK a manufacturers course is enough to satisfy the likes of NAPIT.

Manufacturer course's are starting to be phased out due to the course content not being regulated and that the training could be specific to the manufacturer not the technology in general. Please be aware alot of manufacturers are now offering in house training which carries a recognised certificate e.g BPEC, Logic or NIC EIC.

please feel free to ask any further questions.

Manufacturer course's are starting to be phased out due to the course content not being regulated and that the training could be specific to the manufacturer not the technology in general.
Which manufacturers, EasyMCS?

I thought the idea of a manufacturers course was to be specific to that make, with course content covering commissioning of their products for that reason I dont think that they will be phased out. BPEC and Logic courses will be phased out in favour of the new city&guilds courses meaning a lot of extra expense for would be installers.

I thought the idea of a manufacturers course was to be specific to that make, with course content covering commissioning of their products for that reason I dont think that they will be phased out. BPEC and Logic courses will be phased out in favour of the new city&guilds courses meaning a lot of extra expense for would be installers.

Hi Markfxy, We work closely with all the main certifications bodies and we have not heard anything of any changes to remove Logic or BPET from the approved courses. You may be referring to the C & G 2399 course for solar PV but even this is only an extended course for larger organisation needing this certificate for approval on commerical contracts but this is not a requirement by MCS at the moment but we will make sure we keep you upto date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MCS PV installer wanting to add ST in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install to radiators being fitted and therefore able to comission the system. Our plumber is now employed elsewhere and unfortunately unable to complete this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I should start off by stating that I'm not in the industry - I'm just a DIYer with a "what-if" idea. Hybrid systems and solar diverters are nothing new, but as far as I can see the current hybrid systems all require a change of boiler and I'm going to propose a system which could use...
Replies
Views
I’d like some advice and opinions please. I have a 150 year old stone cottage ( 2 foot thick solid stone walls) some roof insulation and double glazed windows in a very cold exposed hill top position in the north western Yorkshire Dales. we are planning to put underfloor heating downstairs and...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock