Search the forum,

Discuss MCS accreditation for single installers or very small companies in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

payney1974

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I was wondering how many single installers are MCS accredited? I was browsing the costs and it seems like MCS are trying to price small companies out of the market! Or am I missing something?

Have a search in the renewables section, lots and lots and lots and lots of discussion.

No, you aren't missing anything.

MCS is unnecessarily complicated, and skewed against the small trader. I know of just a handful of small firms who are MCS accredited, the vast majority take one look at the cost and paperwork overhead, and decide against.

Ive worked with nothing but renewable technology for the last 5 or 6 years and I've got to a point where I'm thinking of working for myself but after looking at the costs......... Disappointing !!

MCS was brought about to keep out the double glazing companies with their pushy sales tactics but as these same companies can afford to invest in MCS registration it hasn't worked, MCS and REAL assurance who are supposed to take action against these companies are toothless wonders, no wonder so many installers have given up on renewables.

If you think MCS is bad, wait until the Green Deal kicks in. All of these are over the top schemes designed for big outfits taking all the profit. Im having to do it though as I feel I've went too far not to get something out of it.

CES are you already qualified as an assessor as you're already MCS registered

No Markyfx. I was considering going on the Plumbcenter course in Dec though, 5 days £1350+VAT to become a DEA and GDA. Then of course an annual fee of £500 to be a Green Deal Assessor. Another £500 if you want to be able to register as a Green Deal installer for the technologies you install under MCS apparently.
Its an interesting one that they are talking about doing a Site visit if you want to install boilers under the green deal. Apparently Gas Safe is not enough. Safe enough to install into someones house privately but not safe enough when someone else is paying for it. I wonder what gas qualifications the assessor from the certification body will have?..
The worlds going to hell in a hand basket so they say. Maybe its that Mayan End of the World Prophecy kicking in.

don't forget the reassessments as well apparently without them you don't know what you're doing!

I'm a single man company with mcs, funnily I'm sitting waiting for assessor to come for my first year assessment, just called napit and they've forgotten to book it in with assesor, I'm fuming, ill be sending a bill for lost day of work, turned down 4 call outs already today as it is, absolute retards the lot of them. She even said we won't be charging you for a reappointment!!! Er I should hope not.

papers were saying that there have been minimal applications from anyone for green deal approval scheme, so lets hope it dies a death. Who in government thinks that anyone is going to borrow monies to pay back later thro utilities billing that when you sell your house becomes the new owners problem!!!!!!! the only thing that has ever worked was boiler scrappage schem, no big firm involvement, rely on customer to redeem payback and all we did was put the boilers in, it was so simple it worked!

papers were saying that there have been minimal applications from anyone for green deal approval scheme, so lets hope it dies a death. Who in government thinks that anyone is going to borrow monies to pay back later thro utilities billing that when you sell your house becomes the new owners problem!!!!!!! the only thing that has ever worked was boiler scrappage schem, no big firm involvement, rely on customer to redeem payback and all we did was put the boilers in, it was so simple it worked!

Absolutely agree. No matter what green gibberish is out there the best a consumer can do is insulate and fit a condensing boiler of whatever appetite - more fool them if they tie this to the property and the ever so reliable utilities billing systems.

Mind some of mine could start to add jumpers / socks rather than lounging around in a T shirt in the middle of winter.

Who in government thinks that anyone is going to borrow monies to pay back later thro utilities billing that when you sell your house becomes the new owners problem!!!!!!!

The people most likely to do this are landlords. From their perspective, its a no-lose proposition. They get a new boiler, probably with a long warranty, which offloads one of their maintenance obligations. The cost is picked up by the tenant who pays the utility bill.

I know that lots of heating engineers don't like working for landlords, but in this case, it might make sense. They money comes from the Green Deal provider, not from the LL.

Its the only bit of the green deal that I can see working as planned.

I am sole trader and MCS approved.
As has been said there is a load of paperwork but once you get your head around it it can be very beneficial, especially if you work for small building companies who want to embrace renewable tech.
It probably is aimed at the bigger companies as costs can be quite high but it will pay off.
2015 new housing = no gas

I am sole trader and MCS approved.
As has been said there is a load of paperwork but once you get your head around it it can be very beneficial, especially if you work for small building companies who want to embrace renewable tech.
It probably is aimed at the bigger companies as costs can be quite high but it will pay off.
2015 new housing = no gas

Long time between now and 2015, wouldn't be the first time things have changed or been 'postponed'. Time will tell :)

green deal in the papers this w/e and at last the papers are pointing out that no one in their right mind will sign up and take out loan on the potential of saving money and have the loan on the property so that the new buyers takes on the loan!!!!!!! if they want to pay off the loan earlier there will be interest charged for the whole loan!!!! Why not go PFI like hospitals and schools and screw up the individuall as well as the NHS etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Governments they are mad. Latest read in the paper has us buying a vertical take off aircraft thats supposed to be a ferrari buts more like a yugo, and it cant fly in a thunderstorm as it might blow up! cost of the new fleet one trillion dollars to the uk

That only applies to anything put through planning after 2015 anything approved before can still have gas and those developments could be pushed back till 2018. The way I see's it everyone's making money out of me and the industry except me!

dont mention those jets lameplumber im an ex harrier man and its a bit of a joke now

No Markyfx. I was considering going on the Plumbcenter course in Dec though, 5 days £1350+VAT to become a DEA and GDA. Then of course an annual fee of £500 to be a Green Deal Assessor. Another £500 if you want to be able to register as a Green Deal installer for the technologies you install under MCS apparently.
Its an interesting one that they are talking about doing a Site visit if you want to install boilers under the green deal. Apparently Gas Safe is not enough. Safe enough to install into someones house privately but not safe enough when someone else is paying for it. I wonder what gas qualifications the assessor from the certification body will have?..
The worlds going to hell in a hand basket so they say. Maybe its that Mayan End of the World Prophecy kicking in.

Niecec said they'd not bother at a site visit as I'm gas safe registered, but would come out to check office and compliance systems to comply with pas2030.

However Napit said they'd want to inspect my installation. which Plumbcentre want you to go with.

Even these companies niciec, napt, Easy. contradicted themselves and were unsure at the renewable's road show in Glasgow.

I'm with Napit but I cannot comment on others but all of them will inspect your paperwork system and believe me there is loads of it!!!
If you don't like computers and paperwork you'll have an uphill battle.
Napit inspect your work depending on what technology your being dragged over the coals for be it solar, heat pump etc etc

whats the point of the whole thing if its mainly a paperwork exercise!!, doesnt make you a better installer!!!!

Your right it doesn't make your installations any better.
It's apparently to keep the rogue traders and cowboys out of the market!! Don't somehow think its succeeded especially with PV!!
It's just one big paper trail so that if the customer is unhappy or things have gone wrong there is someone to blame.

Plus your clients will have a full system explanation and schematics of all work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MCS accreditation for single installers or very small companies in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock