Search the forum,

Discuss Max Size of Radiator with 10mm Pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I was hoping to change a radiator in my sitting room for a significantly larger one, but having read a few bits and pieces on the web, I'm not sure whether it is feasible. The existing radiator is a double panel, double fin radiator measuring about 1200 long by about 700 high and is fed by 10mm diameter pipes. I think the output of the existing rad is about 8200BTu / 2400W. I was hoping to replace this with something larger but am now not so sure, due to the diameter of the pipework. Is there a rule of thumb for the maximum size of radiator that can be used in conjunction with 10mm pipes? Would appreciate any advice.

Depends on a lot

Copper plastic

Any fittings etc

Length of run

TBH if the existing one works I wouldn’t increase the rad by much

as above
but to give you a guide - based on 10mm copper around 2400Watts if you are running it with boiler on max i.e. 11degC between the F&R or 4300Watts if it is 20degC.

my experience is practical ..I tried 3.2 kw on a 15 mm supply
on two rads only one at a time really did well ...1o mm will be worse ..Rob Foster aka centralheatking

my experience is practical ..I tried 3.2 kw on a 15 mm supply
on two rads only one at a time really did well ...1o mm will be worse ..Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Rob, 15mm should do about 6 kw no problem if system is balanced.
I would think of it as having a limit of 2 very big radiators, or 4 or 5 smallish radiators.
I was always told rough guide was 15mm for 20,000 btus (6kw) max
and 22mm for 60,000 btus (18kw) max for open vented heating systems.
Sealed system would be more capable.

Rob, 15mm should do about 6 kw no problem if system is balanced.
I would think of it as having a limit of 2 very big radiators, or 4 or 5 smallish radiators.
I was always told rough guide was 15mm for 20,000 btus (6kw) max
and 22mm for 60,000 btus (18kw) max for open vented heating systems.
Sealed system would be more capable.
yes ur right I meant 2x 3kw big double rads ...on a 15mm ...I was not clear enough

Reply to Max Size of Radiator with 10mm Pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock