Search the forum,

Discuss Mature Student Looking for Work Experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,

First post on here so please go easy on me if possible !

I’m a mature student in my 40s based in the Wrexham/Chester area looking to gain further knowledge and experience with a professional plumber.

After a career change 12 months ago, I recently completed City & Guilds Level 2 Plumbing (6035) and in September will be starting Level 3 (2 days a week) and hopefully working towards the L2 NVQ. Ideally I would also like to become Gas Safe registered further down the line.

If anyone on here is in my area I would really appreciate any opportunity to help out on some jobs and am willing to do this on a voluntary basis so I can improve my skills and knowledge.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi pipeman, question is what can you bring to the party? Plenty of young bucks in your position on here. Do you have skills you can pass on to your mentor? Good luck.

Hi pipeman, question is what can you bring to the party? Plenty of young bucks in your position on here. Do you have skills you can pass on to your mentor? Good luck.

Hi WC1 and many thanks for the good luck message.

I've come from a completely different role, working for a local company for over 25 years and was Purchasing & IT Manager when I left last year. My IT skills may well be useful setting up Smart Home devices such as Tado / Hive / Nest etc but I would imagine this being a small part of a plumber's weekly work. I'm also pretty good at Maths so I should find any numerical calculations straightforward.

Some things I am very good at are turning up on time (never off sick) and working hard on any tasks I am given. Hopefully, given the opportunity, I will prove useful to whoever gives me a chance.

Thanks again.

There's your angle, many plumbers, me included, lack IT skills. Setting up computer invoicing , inventory, google advertising etc may be a trade - able skill. All the best!!

Personally I would rather employ a more mature person rather than someone young. From the list of apprentices I've had over the years I have noticed that they have steadily got lazier and give less of a sh*t, they seem to know everything from day one and dont need teaching.

I would much rather employ someone who grew up in an era that you didnt get a medal for just turning up you had to win to get a medal. An era where mobile phones were non existent or only owned by the rich yuppies and all you could do was phone someone.

Kids now just want to play with there phone all day, if you tell them how to do something they know a better easier way and dont listen because they cant be wrong. More interested in putting everything on snapchat and getting praise off all their friends 90% they have never met to groom their over inflated ego.

I honestly wonder what the children will be like when they leave school in 10 years time. As your not allowed to call them naughty now if they misbehave incase they get labelled.

Personally I would rather employ a more mature person rather than someone young. From the list of apprentices I've had over the years I have noticed that they have steadily got lazier and give less of a sh*t, they seem to know everything from day one and dont need teaching.

I would much rather employ someone who grew up in an era that you didnt get a medal for just turning up you had to win to get a medal. An era where mobile phones were non existent or only owned by the rich yuppies and all you could do was phone someone.

Kids now just want to play with there phone all day, if you tell them how to do something they know a better easier way and dont listen because they cant be wrong. More interested in putting everything on snapchat and getting praise off all their friends 90% they have never met to groom their over inflated ego.

I honestly wonder what the children will be like when they leave school in 10 years time. As your not allowed to call them naughty now if they misbehave incase they get labelled.

Rant over Millsy ? :D Thought I was a MISOG :rolleyes::)

I went down a similar path, did my Level 2/3 at college, did a few stints with local plumbers however never got the chance so went to work in the city - 4 years in I hated it and wanted to rekindle my trade, had to spend a year at 24 on £3.90 an hour before my boss even offered me anything more, it's a tough game, a really tough game at the minute moreso with so many youngens holding qualifications seeking work.

Stick at it, if you're truly passionate about making something out of this trade you will eventually get there.

Winters coming up, offer yourself as a labourer to a 'medium' sized firm over the busy months, get some site experience under your belt and see where that takes you.

You'd be relatively surprised at how willing plumbers are to taking on mature trainees/apprentices, especially those with transferable skills from other work sectors.

I've turned into the miserable old swine that taught me! I think its plumbing does it to you.

Me too, I’ve developed a vertical frown line now, that’s there for good. Years of just being Soded off has left its mark, if folk realised how stressful this job is

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mature Student Looking for Work Experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock