Search the forum,

Discuss Mature college student needing help with nvq sign off. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I’m new to the forum after exhausting all other avenues! I finished my nvq level 2 in July this year, since then I have tried to get a job within the plumbing sector. Unfortunately for me I didn’t realise how hard this would be and to be honest it has knocked my confidence a little, i harbour a spinal disease ( fused to be more precise) so cant help but feel this has gone against me. I want to be totally honest here, I’m under control and have been for several years now. I would love an opportunity to shadow someone and gain hands on experience first hand, I completed all tasks to high standard with distinction and merit status. I’ve basically been doing plumbing jobs for years for family friends and myself at my property, I have a keen interest and desire to learn more and perhaps progress to gas at a later date. I hope I haven t waffled on to much but feel honesty is key. Any help would be much appreciated.

Going into plumbing with an existing back problem, you're either brave or daft mate.
You say you feel honesty is the key, well honestly I wouldn't take on anyone with a back problem, or a knee problem or wrist problems. Even small jobs will aggravate your back issue, back spasms are almost a daily thing when working under sinks, baths etc.
Doing the odd job for family is very different to doing it full time, plumbing batters you.
If I don't have at least a sore back when I get home then I've not had a busy day.
Going into plumbing with a back problem is like going into running with a foot problem, makes no sense to me.
I agree that nobody should discriminate due to race/disability etc. but this isn't discrimination, this is just simple logic.
Sorry to say it but in my opinion you made a bad choice when you chose plumbing.

Sorry to say it but JC is right it’s a difficult job when you are in relatively good physical health let alone if you are going in with injury or a weakness. I’m really sorry but as you say, honesty is the best policy

Thanks guys, I take no offence and I know your right to a degree, however it’s something I’ve always wanted to do as I love Fixing things, by trade I’m a mechanic 30+ years now and fancied a change as I did a plumbing course years ago but a better job and more money prevailed, hence I took the plunge! But thanks for the honesty once again.

We aren’t trying to be negative but are really just trying to stop you hurting yourself and ending up destitute

Reply to Mature college student needing help with nvq sign off. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock