Search the forum,

Discuss Mates boiler spilling and British Gas say it's fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craiglancs

Check this out guys. My mate rents a house, he sent me these photos to which I said it needs cutting off and replacing, but British gas have come round and said it's fine....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-10-21-42-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-10-21-42-05.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_2016-02-11-16-35-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-11-16-35-47.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 162
well simple way to tell is either tell landlord to get it double checked or for him to get a gas safe eng out to check

but fyi he cant take the cover off unless hes gas safe

I know he can't take the cover of mate but he said it wasn't even screwed on. I'm a gas safe engineer,,,, and looking at his photos I said I'm coming over to cap the boiler, but he's called British gas to look at it who said it's fine. That's massive signs of spillage to me. What's wrong with them? There telling him it's heat staining which it defo isn't in that pattern, and the fact he's swiped his finger through it and it's rubbed off.

Is that an ISAR.
I wonder if the ionisation pins have gone previously. Burner overheats and can cause that. Or of course it could be faulty now as you say.
Need to establish if Its new damage or old damage prior to a repair.

I know he can't take the cover of mate but he said it wasn't even screwed on. I'm a gas safe engineer,,,, and looking at his photos I said I'm coming over to cap the boiler, but he's called British gas to look at it who said it's fine. That's massive signs of spillage to me. What's wrong with them? There telling him it's heat staining which it defo isn't in that pattern, and the fact he's swiped his finger through it and it's rubbed off.

how long have you been a GSR? new to the industry?

b74e73cb6cfff629b5e738eb26d8285d.jpg

Thats one i saw previously. Has similar marks to yours from previous ionisation pin failure caught in time. Was working fine when i serviced it.
But it did eventually die with fan and pcb and replaced it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that an ISAR.
I wonder if the ionisation pins have gone previously. Burner overheats and can cause that. Or of course it could be faulty now as you say.
Need to establish if Its new damage or old damage prior to a repair.

Looks like ionisation probes ontop of boiler.

I had one a few years back with heat marks. To make sure it was not case a put smoke pellet in and screwed cover back on. No smoke come out of case. as above possibly heat.

Most likely heat, would need to inspect it though. I've had loads leaking poc from the flue manifold arm that connects on to main heat ex. uploadfromtaptalk1455224133581.jpg

Unless you're stood in front of the boiler there is no way to know if it's definitely spilling.
British gas were there.

I'm pretty sure that one was leaking, hold the analyser near the aa and picked poc.

It's defo spilling guys, he sent me the photos, ran his finger through the marks as I told him to and it came off, meaning smoke stains not heat. Look at the shape too. It's in the open area of the boiler. Ye is an ideal isar piece of ****.

Would it be in a British gas engineers interest to try his best to not write something off if the boiler is on some kind of warranty fix scheme thing, due to middle management etc etc giving pathetic targets and cost cutting? ( I used to work for a big company)

Nope. By enlarge british gas engineers are excellent engineers. Well trained and well supported.
Like anything some are better than others. But i bet my hat he made the right call.
Call them back and request a supervisor attend too

If it was me i'd go round and have a look and test first before making judgment off pictures, yes it looks like its spilling but it might not be spilling now, could be old spillage and its been fixed

I personally wouldnt touch it. Its a landlords appliance and if you touch it they will say youve done it ****ing about with it

I agree Newcastle Phil. If I touched that I'd be cutting it off simple as that. I've told my mate to paint the walls and see if it re appears. What I don't get is tho,,,, surely anyone who cures a spillage fault would clean away the old spillage stains to avoid a situation like this?

Would it be in a British gas engineers interest to try his best to not write something off if the boiler is on some kind of warranty fix scheme thing, due to middle management etc etc giving pathetic targets and cost cutting?

It's Definitely NOT in the BG Engineers interest to NOT fix it.
He / she is looking at a Jail sentence if the situation goes wrong.

I know but from what I hear about BG they are given mad schedules where they have to rush around and get whoop whoop whoop bum if they don't do X amount of jobs in the day. There's aCO detector in my mates room so maybe someone would think .......well that'd sound if it leaks CO....

I know but from what I hear about BG they are given mad schedules where they have to rush around and get whoop whoop whoop bum if they don't do X amount of jobs in the day. There's aCO detector in my mates room so maybe someone would think .......well that'd sound if it leaks CO....

Have you checked if CO alarm is in date ? or even works !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mates boiler spilling and British Gas say it's fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock