Search the forum,

Discuss Manual vs power flush, new boiler installation in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm having a new boiler installed as part of grant scheme in a few weeks' time. My GCH stopped working about 7 years ago and I couldn't afford to keep fixing it - at the time my boiler was only about 3 years old, but was told after about 3 fixes that it was sludged up and needed a power flush. I couldn't afford that either and have had to use oil radiators ever since. I've explained the sludge issue to the new company doing the installation and they say they don't power flush but they do a manual flush and will fit a magnetic filter, but if for any reason they can't get the heating working, then they'll do a power flush. Do you think the manual flush will be sufficient? I'm worried that the whole problem will repeat again. Would be grateful for any advice.

Depends on the extent of the sludge build up. If excessive then a simple mains flush probably won't help much, if at all and the magnetic filter probably will struggle as well.
If its excessive then a powerflush would hopefully help but I've seen some systems really bad. Its worth investigating why you would have sludge buildup as well. If there's an underlying problem in original system design then that needs to be addressed. Sludge is produced from oxygen in the system reacting with the iron content within the radiators.

If it’s a granted job they will do the least eg no flush at best blast mains water through

Most/if not all boiler manufacturers require a chemical flush as stipulated in the commissioning sheet for the warranty.

I don’t install new boilers without a proper flush. The alloy heat exchangers can’t take abuse like the old cast iron ones.

@Timmy D , @ShaunCorbs , @SJB060685 , thank you so much for all your replies. I think I'll have to wait and see what happens, but I was feeling quite apprehensive about the job even before posting. A lot depends on the engineers on the day.

@scott_d - unfortunately yes, it's not been working for 7 years due me getting ill and getting in debt.

My gas pipe also needs upgrading for combi boiler and I'm in a Victorian terraced house that has a lot of character, so worried the pipe will be an eyesore inside and outside because but surveyor said they won't run it under floorboards because the place is laminated - they want to do the gas run high up on the inner walls. I'll ask on the day if they can lift the floorboards.

In my experience (albeit oil systems) most grant scheme installs or replacements are not satisfactory and in some cases I've seen are outright dangerous. I appreciate your current situation and I hope those that turn up are thorough and qualified.

In my experience (albeit oil systems) most grant scheme installs or replacements are not satisfactory and in some cases I've seen are outright dangerous. I appreciate your current situation and I hope those that turn up are thorough and qualified.
Thanks very much, your comments are appreciated.

Although I sympathise with your situation you are essentially getting something for free and things that are free often aren't very good and you don't have much control over them.
I suggest approach with open mind and offer them plenty of tea and biscuits and tell them where the loo is and clear all your stuff from their workspace. Being as nice as poss. to them and making their job easier will be the best bet to get what you need out of the day. Good luck

7 years without use is not good I wouldn't want to fit a new boiler connected to any of the old system there is a very high risk of failure here , any type of flushing is not going to clean the pipework and rads enough, in my opinion a full heating replacement is needed gas runs are sometimes challenging a external run is sometimes needed if a internal one is not viable , my experience of grant work is you will get the least amount of work possible done and it will be done the quickest way and often not to a great standard of workmanship. Kop

Reply to Manual vs power flush, new boiler installation in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock