Search the forum,

Discuss Manual radiator valves help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m in the uk and have a bathroom radiator with two manual valves, both of which leak slightly. i know that to turn my radiator off I need to turn clockwise, but for optimal setting, how far back should I turn them, e.g. 1/4 turn?
and should I turn both the left and right valves, or just one?
Should one be fixed ideally?

I’m confused as to how to operate a rad with 2 valves, and there doesn’t seem to be much guidance online.

Many thanks In advance.

C5D58FDE-98AF-4186-B469-4A15862899D4.jpeg

I’m in the uk and have a bathroom radiator with two manual valves, both of which leak slightly. i know that to turn my radiator off I need to turn clockwise, but for optimal setting, how far back should I turn them, e.g. 1/4 turn?
and should I turn both the left and right valves, or just one?
Should one be fixed ideally?

I’m confused as to how to operate a rad with 2 valves, and there doesn’t seem to be much guidance online.

Many thanks In advance.
One (conventionally on the flow = hotter end) would normally be used to 'turn the radiator on and off', the other (conventionally on the return) would ideally be fixed to a setting that ensures that the temperature difference between the inlet and the outlet on that radiator is similar to that of other radiators on the same system. It's called balancing a heating system if it's something you want to investigate.

The reason you have two control valves and cannot lock one of them is probably due to installer error. I'm also tempted to guess that the valves themselves don't leak but that the connections from the valves do, though leaky valves are not unheard of!

By the way, I love the fact that one bracket is higher than the other. Kind of cool - if they're actually both fixed to the wall, that is!

One (conventionally on the flow = hotter end) would normally be used to 'turn the radiator on and off', the other (conventionally on the return) would ideally be fixed to a setting that ensures that the temperature difference between the inlet and the outlet on that radiator is similar to that of other radiators on the same system. It's called balancing a heating system if it's something you want to investigate.

The reason you have two control valves and cannot lock one of them is probably due to installer error. I'm also tempted to guess that the valves themselves don't leak but that the connections from the valves do, though leaky valves are not unheard of!

By the way, I love the fact that one bracket is higher than the other. Kind of cool - if they're actually both fixed to the wall, that is!
Thanks, this is really helpful. I’ll have a look at balancing my rads. Cheers.
Well spotted with the brackets, I hadn’t even noticed this myself. How odd that they did this.

Reply to Manual radiator valves help in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock