Search the forum,

Discuss Manual corner rad valve orientation in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I will soon be fitting a towel rail and have been looking at what manual corner valves are available.

I note that a good proportion of manual valves seem to be the opposite orientation to what I would expect i.e. the adjustable valve, if fitted on the left hand side, would stick out from the left of the rail and not point inwards as I would expect.

Can the fittings (15mm / 1/2”) of these valves be swapped over such that each valve can be used either on the left or the right and be pointing inwards or outwards? Have searched many listings, but non clarify the situation. Makes me think I am asking a dumb question!

Not easy to explain what I mean, but hopefully the above makes some sense. TIA

Any link to the listings?

Yes sure, as below.

So the valve goes underneath, LHS, and the 10mm Speedfit comes out of the wall. To my mind this would mean that the adjustable head of the larger valve would stick out on the left of the rad, rather than facing right, essentially tucked underneath (parallel) to the rad!?

Attachments

• 5B3485E4-2C02-45BA-98CF-9FA9846CBC34.jpeg
    5B3485E4-2C02-45BA-98CF-9FA9846CBC34.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yes sure, as below.

So the valve goes underneath, LHS, and the 10mm Speedfit comes out of the wall. To my mind this would mean that the adjustable head of the larger valve would stick out on the left of the rad, rather than facing right, essentially tucked underneath (parallel) to the rad!?
Um, so why not put the large headed control valve on the right?

But I agree with Ben-Gee, get valves with 2 x 15mm connections.

Here you go. Black because you posted black.

Last edited:
I see. The ones in your photo certainly look as if, if you want the valve under the towel rail, the control valve needs to go on the right.

Are the valves not bi-directional (many modern valves are)? Could you not simply put the control valve on the right, even if it is the return connexion?

I see. The ones in your photo certainly look as if, if you want the valve under the towel rail, the control valve needs to go on the right.

Are the valves not bi-directional (many modern valves are)? Could you not simply put the control valve on the right, even if it is the return connexion?

I had randomly selected a pair of valves to demonstrate my point. I’ve checked the particular listing and there’s no mention of bi-directional operation and so i would assume those ones aren’t, but likely others are.
Never used manual valves before. Would i be correct in thinking it doesn’t matter which way around they are fitted as long as they are bi-directional? Any negatives with doing this?
Thanks again o

I had randomly selected a pair of valves to demonstrate my point. I’ve checked the particular listing and there’s no mention of bi-directional operation and so i would assume those ones aren’t, but likely others are.
Never used manual valves before. Would i be correct in thinking it doesn’t matter which way around they are fitted as long as they are bi-directional? Any negatives with doing this?
Thanks again o
It is conventional to fit the control valve to the flow and the lockshield to the return, but there is no current technical basis for this that I have come across. My best guess is that the origin is that if you are plumbing in a radiator top-bottom-opposite-ends, it makes sense to have the control valve at the top where it is accessible. TRVs, however, often won't work properly or quietly if fitted unconventionally unless bi-directional (which most are nowadays).

I would be surprised to find any manual valve is not bi-directional to be honest as most non-decorative manual control valves are mechanically identical to the lockshield version with the only difference being that the control valve has a wheelhead and the lockshield valve has a fixed cap and I fail to see why a decorative valve would be significantly different. That said, I too would want to see the person selling me the valve confirming suitability.

It is conventional to fit the control valve to the flow and the lockshield to the return, but there is no current technical basis for this that I have come across. My best guess is that the origin is that if you are plumbing in a radiator top-bottom-opposite-ends, it makes sense to have the control valve at the top where it is accessible. TRVs, however, often won't work properly or quietly if fitted unconventionally unless bi-directional (which most are nowadays).

I would be surprised to find any manual valve is not bi-directional to be honest as most non-decorative manual control valves are mechanically identical to the lockshield version with the only difference being that the control valve has a wheelhead and the lockshield valve has a fixed cap and I fail to see why a decorative valve would be significantly different. That said, I too would want to see the person selling me the valve confirming suitability.
Thanks for the detailed response and thanks to all other contributors! I now feel more comfortable tackling the job, having a better understanding of the technology involved.

Reply to Manual corner rad valve orientation in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock