Search the forum,

Discuss Manned speed cameras in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi KOP, not had a clean license for decades. Done all the courses etc. Guess i am a lost cause. I just pay up like with tax on cigs and booze. Best one was on a smart motorway, gantry says 60 mph, road was empty, i thought "crappy thing is stuck" - turned out to be on 60mph for emission purposes, well you never stop learning... lol

BTW, if you do get to 12 points, its not the end. I managed 21 before a ban was the best way of clearing them.

If you go to Bradford off the M606, a mobile unit there parks up on the ring road and gets loads as its a dual carriageway but 30mph, that spot has had me 3 times !!!

Hi KOP, not had a clean license for decades. Done all the courses etc. Guess i am a lost cause. I just pay up like with tax on cigs and booze. Best one was on a smart motorway, gantry says 60 mph, road was empty, i thought "crappy thing is stuck" - turned out to be on 60mph for emission purposes, well you never stop learning... lol

BTW, if you do get to 12 points, its not the end. I managed 21 before a ban was the best way of clearing them.

If you go to Bradford off the M606, a mobile unit there parks up on the ring road and gets loads as its a dual carriageway but 30mph, that spot has had me 3 times !!!
Wow you really did get yourself in a muddle mate, my argument is if your traveling along safely driving to the the road conditions it's dry leaving plenty of space between yourself and the next car no pedestrians to step out into the road then it's a bit harsh to hand out tickets for supposibly just creeping over why can't we use our own judgement we do that all the time we are driving anyway , but like you say its a argument you will never win, I would like to swop places with the chap who dishes out the tickets let him do my job for a week the pressures we put ourselves or our employers put us under is immense often theres a hundred and one things going on in your head and we are driving on auto pilot , all we are doing is helping people trying to earn a living and provide for our families I often don't eat or drink all day and don't have time to even answer the phone. 😵
I tried the Waze app yesterday I can see the benefit on long journeys as it does flash up the speed limit on the road you are traveling on so if you do creep over then you can adjust it accordingly. All the best Kop

Last edited:
2010 DfT literature review of impact speed and pedestrian safety:

“the risk of fatality increases slowly until impact speeds of around 30 mph. Above this speed, risk increases rapidly -- the increase is between 3.5 and 5.5 times from 30 mph to 40 mph.”

Not what I would describe as 'little difference'.
Based on the DfT document you quote I would agree with you, but if you look at the article I quote, you might forgive me for suggesting it may not be as simple as the DfT study suggests. Particularly this chart in the Swedish data study which I think you will agree suggests (at least at a glace) little difference above 50kmph:
1603389360583.png

In fairness, I suspect neither of us has read either study in detail. I personally cannot assimilate all the information without printing out a copy and I've too much to deal with at present to give this that much attention, which probably is the case for most of us. This isn't anything to be ashamed of though, because we don't need to write the laws, only follow them.

Reply to Manned speed cameras in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock