Search the forum,

Discuss Managed to boil my hot water tank with immersion heater... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Woke up at 6AM to the sound of my hot water tank boiling and a cold sweat as I realised I'd left the immersion on since 6PM the night before.

Immediately turned it off and opened the taps in the bath to drain the tank, temporarily turning my bathroom into a steam shower - still not sure if this was the right call but I figured it was better than having boiling water in the hot tank for wife and daughter to play with. The cold tap in the bathroom taps remained pretty warm after so I'm assuming it somehow started to heat the cold water tank in the attic (downstairs tap was still nice and cold)...

TL;DR - have I completely f*****d my pipes? Should I do any checks or due dilligence after putting so much stress in the system?

The cylinder shouldn't boil or get anywhere near, no matter how long the immersion has been switched on.

The immersion thermostat probably needs replacing, get it checked

Woke up at 6AM to the sound of my hot water tank boiling and a cold sweat as I realised I'd left the immersion on since 6PM the night before.

Immediately turned it off and opened the taps in the bath to drain the tank, temporarily turning my bathroom into a steam shower - still not sure if this was the right call but I figured it was better than having boiling water in the hot tank for wife and daughter to play with. The cold tap in the bathroom taps remained pretty warm after so I'm assuming it somehow started to heat the cold water tank in the attic (downstairs tap was still nice and cold).

TL;DR - have I completely f*****d my pipes? Should I do any checks or due dilligence after putting so much stress in the system?
All maybe not lost, you acted correctly. There are two immediate reasons
1.Your cold water storage tank was empty...unlikely
2. The thermostate on your immersion has failed ...quite common
What you do depends on
a. Is it your Gaff or a rental ? if rental make a call
b. Your Gaff then its a simple part replacement cost about £15.00 depends on length and about 1 hrs work + call out if you dont know a friendly one but I would get a plumber to call by ...its maybe the immersion has failed as well as the thermo. If they are dead old
get both replaced at the same time ...common sense..its not a diy as you will not have the correct tools......let us know how you get on...centralheatking

The cylinder shouldn't boil or get anywhere near, no matter how long the immersion has been switched on.

The immersion thermostat probably needs replacing, get it checked
Is replacing that something a novice can do? I'm tempted to just not use it.

Do you think the boiling cylinder would have caused any damage to the system?

Thanks for the reply - appreciate it :)
[automerge]1571152991[/automerge]
All maybe not lost, you acted correctly. There are two immediate reasons
1.Your cold water storage tank was empty...unlikely
2. The thermostate on your immersion has failed ...quite common
What you do depends on
a. Is it your Gaff or a rental ? if rental make a call
b. Your Gaff then its a simple part replacement cost about £15.00 depends on length and about 1 hrs work + call out if you dont know a friendly one but I would get a plumber to call by ...its maybe the immersion has failed as well as the thermo. If they are dead old
get both replaced at the same time ...common sense..its not a diy as you will not have the correct tools....let us know how you get on...centralheatking
Thank you this puts my mind at ease. it is super old so I think I'll look at getting both replaced.

Reply to Managed to boil my hot water tank with immersion heater... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock