Search the forum,

Discuss Making use of a back boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I’ve recently moved into a house and want to start using a fireplace that hasn’t been used in around 10 years. The fireplace has a back boiler which has since been disconnected when the central heating system was revamped a few years ago. We currently have solar panels and an oil boiler, but since we have a back boiler already in the house it would be good if we could make use of it to lower our oil usage over winter.
The problem is that, for reasons I won’t bore you with, the fireplace is in the upstairs of the house and the hot water cylinder is now in the downstairs of the house, almost directly underneath where the fireplace is.
Is there any way we can utilise the back boiler? My understanding is that it cannot be connected to the hot water cylinder as it is the wrong orientation for a gravity feed to work, but I’d be happy even if it only fed the radiators in the two bedrooms, also upstairs, as we would likely only be lighting fires once we are home for the evening. It just seems a shame that we have a back boiler sitting in our house but can’t get any benefit from it.
Obviously I would have a professional check the safety of the fireplace and back boiler before going ahead with anything, just wanted to know what is possible as I can’t seem to find any information relevant to this situation online.

Thanks,
Ben

You say the back boiler has been disconnected by others, do not trust here say get an expert to check and also that it is drained fully before you do anything. There have been cases just like this....fire gets lit...water left behind goes bang big time steam and hotwater are very dangerous. Centralheatking

I think due to your current layout it's going to be impossible to achieve your desire, however with the right installer and proper system design you could utilize your solar thermal, oil boiler and back boiler, although it will take some work

When a back boiler is taken out of service it is supposed to be fully removed. Not always done though.
What you may find, as John.g says above, is that it may have been drilled.

People are very keen to use stoves, back boilers etc to reduce their fuel Bill's. But to do so takes a lot of coin.

Have a look at Dunsley and Heating Innovations who do the h2 panel.

Yes theres Dunsley who produce the neutralizer in various arrangements and also Heat Genie and the NRG Link. All suitable for interlinking solid fuel appliances to other systems, beit open vented or sealed. Like Simon and I said though this will cost and will require an installer or firm confident and experienced. Check these options out online and you will get a feel for what's required and how your system will look upon completion

Reply to Making use of a back boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water was dripping from the condensation pipe. Our regular gas engineer(who installed the boiler) was not available and will be in a couple of days. The...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock