Search the forum,

Discuss Mainsboost for unvented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all for a loft conversion I’m renewing my heating system to an unvented one ( new boiler , Mega flo or similar ) all located in the new loft space , I’m on the cusp regarding pressure and flow rate so was going to upgrade mains into house but it was suggested to me to have another tank that stores ( or helps with ) pressurised water I’ve had a look online and would it be a mains boost system ? I’m wondering if anyone had any info about these ie are they a good option / any good .... all info great fully received
Thanks

Problem is they run out too fast

Depends how much space you’ve got to play with. Mains I think would be preferable if water hoard can confirm that by doing so you are likely to achieve a better flow and pressure

Depends how much space you’ve got to play with. Mains I think would be preferable if water hoard can confirm that by doing so you are likely to achieve a better flow and pressure
Yeah it was suggested I could upgrade the mains and still be no better off if there was a bit of a surge for water ie mornings and evening

I think I could make enough space but depending how big the cylinder would be I guess I would end up in the property with one bathroom and a shower in the loft so it’s not massive

I haven’t given up it was just suggested as an idea it’s possible rather than dig up the garden about 40 foot to put the new mains in

Mole it ?

Only need two holes then

The basic problem here is our increasing mains water useage.
We Uk get thro 250 litre per day UsA 400 plus and we are headed in that direction. So the short term solution is to fit decent mains suction pump
eg Grundfos wras approved. stuff the upgraded water main.
But when your neighbours get theirs installed you will be back to square one. Then get a wider mains supply installed ..loads of £ then your neighbours do same ...back to square one again. Now do not think I am a greeny etc I am not, just explaining how your journey will unfold...Rob Foster aka
centralheatking...high level intermediate water storage is the answer....ie the old vented conventional domestic heating and hotwater production system

We Uk get thro 250 litre per day UsA 400 plus and we are headed in that direction. So the short term solution is to fit decent mains suction pump
eg Grundfos wras approved. stuff the upgraded water main.
But when your neighbours get theirs installed you will be back to square one. Then get a wider mains supply installed ..loads of £ then your neighbours do same ...back to square one again. Now do not think I am a greeny etc I am not, just explaining how your journey will unfold...Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

Only boost it to 12lpm so no good to anyone

Mole it ? Is that like a small tunnel boring machine ?

Yes And then pull the pipe back with it once your though

Exactly like a tbm but it pushes the / goes though

Silly question would I just google company’s for a quote etc

You can or ask the water board for there approved contractors list if they have one (they should)

Upgrade the mains. Adding anything mechanical to the system just introduces another (possible) point of failure (in the future).

Short term pain, for long term gain.

.....bit like Brexit?

[Runs away]

Upgrade the mains. Adding anything mechanical to the system just introduces another (possible) point of failure (in the future).

Short term pain, for long term gain.

...bit like Brexit?

[Runs away]
Lol I see what your saying go for the mains upgrade (schhh don’t mention the b word )

We Uk get thro 250 litre per day UsA 400 plus and we are headed in that direction.
250 = 178 if you are on your own down to 109 per person per day for family of 4 (source - Southern Water tables of usage)
UsA 400 plus and we are headed in that direction - no we are not, the following is from AD Part G2 of the Building Regulations (2016)

Water efficiency of new dwellings
36.—(1) The potential consumption of wholesome water by persons occupying a new dwelling must not exceed the requirement in paragraph (2).

(2) The requirement referred to in paragraph (1) is either— (a) 125 litres per person per day; or
(b) in a case to which paragraph (3) applies, the optional
requirement of
110 litres per person per day,

as measured in either case in accordance with a methodology approved by the Secretary of State.

The intension is to reduce it to below 100L over time.

What was/is the current flow rate at mains outside tap if you have one or kitchen cold tap, if you don't.
What is the static mains pressure in the morning (if poss between 7 - 8am)?
Hi Posted about this a while back just took this from the post although it wasn't in the morning this is the link to the post in full

Flow + Pressure Test

Stants Member
Hi
Just done a Flow and pressure test
Flow 3,3 L in 10 secs =19.8
( did it 3 times pretty consistent)
Pressure 4 Bar
This however was at kitchen sink downstairs but looking to install Unvented Cylinder ( santon or Mega or similar) in loft ( servicing 1 bathroom + 1 onsuite ) will/ is this going to decrease by much going up approx 5.3 mtrs ( 2 storeys ) I think the pressures ok but the Flow may be on the cusp ?? Any thoughts
Thanks

Yes.
So pressure will be OK, you just need to workout if you can live with the flow rate you have or you could investigate the other options.
If you have room I would go for accumulation tank.
Thanks do you have any more info about an accumulation tank makes sizes etc

Ive fitted a mains boost system, worked well but took up a huge amount of space. From memory they provide as volume of water rated at half of its size, so a 300l mains boost will provide 150l of water. If you have the cash and the space then they are as viable option.

The other possible solution would be to fit cold water storage cisterns, from there you could use a couple of decent single impeller negative head pumps to pump from the cold water tank. One pump could supply the cylinder and the other could supply all non-potable outlets, something like the Salamander RP80(or 120) SU's.

We also have an accumulator offering, called AccuBoost, but this won't be available until around September.

If you need any further advice, please feel free to give us a call on 01915162002

UNVENTED (2).jpg

Reply to Mainsboost for unvented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock