Search the forum,

Discuss Mains water supply, Can it be run surface around property? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom Perkins

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Have discovered a leak between the water meter and the stop-cock under the house somewhere. A lot of it is buried under the floor/in concrete so have no way of getting at it to find and fix. I'd like to run a new 25mm from the meter (under the drive) and pop it up at the corner of the property and then run it low level surface around to the back where the stop-cock is. Anyone know any rules/regs that say this isn't possible?

Chewy.

it'll freeze in winter , why not dig /mole it to where it should be? min 760 max 1200 deep

I know loads of regs that say you cant do this, but if you insist, enjoy watching the meter wizz round after your first cold spell

it'll freeze in winter , why not dig /mole it to where it should be? min 760 max 1200 deep

Thanks Irish,

the house is very long and and the cost of mole'ing is to much on top of the new drive way, heating system, windows and kitchen. I will literally be poor. But as far as you know there isn't any regs saying I can't do it, so long as its 760 up to the house? I'll just have to lag it really well. better go find my spade!

waste of money doing it twice fella , one weekend of digging then its done! where are you based? i use a guy thats fairly cheap

waste of money doing it twice fella , one weekend of digging then its done! where are you based? i use a guy thats fairly cheap

I guess it is a bit to far to run and get away with it not freezing. Knackers! I can hear it in the pipes at the stopcock inside, under the concrete floor. Just been out watching the meter dial, end number on the dial goes round once every 10-15 seconds so i guess its a considerable leak. I live in Whitstable, Kent. I guess the run would be about 25m ish.

Cheers for the replys

why not just dig the bit where you think the leak is and fix it for now, and re run when you've got more $$$$$$

Thanks Irish,

the house is very long and and the cost of mole'ing is to much on top of the new drive way, heating system, windows and kitchen. I will literally be poor. But as far as you know there isn't any regs saying I can't do it, so long as its 760 up to the house? I'll just have to lag it really well. better go find my spade!

I thought I said there were regs that say you cant do it!! If your water supplier wants to be arsy, they could order you to follow the regs, pipe to be laid between 750 and 1350mm deep in a trench thats backfilled with sand to prevent damage to the pipe, along with other stipulations!!

Ha, do you have access to each end of pipe ? Disconnect and pump some leak sealer through it ? There may or may not be something out there on the www ?

why not just dig the bit where you think the leak is and fix it for now, and re run when you've got more $$$$$$

Its 'somewhere' under the tiled floor in the kitchen, not sure about digging the kitchen up unless i know what material the pipe is. I'd just laugh to much if I ruined the kitchen for nothing, finding a sprinkler system made from 15mm that I couldn't fix

Yeah I know but we had our steel mains relined round ere so thought summat like that might work. Was thinking out of the box, am a Plumber :)

are you sure its the water main leaking and not internal pipework? seems strange that a water main would be put into a screed, especially on a house that has ground around it.

is it suspended floor under the tiles?
can you not get under floor in hall or adjacent room and mooch about til you spot whats wrong?

Just double check where leak is, I nearly had a kitchen floor up other day but it was leaking above ground and running back 5m between concrete and wood floor!

And you could run surface in suitable preinsulated pipe in pipe. Expensive and ugly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mains water supply, Can it be run surface around property? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock