Search the forum,

Discuss Mains uprating is 32 mm that much better than 25 mm in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi sorry if this is a silly question I'm having a new heating system installed ( un vented ) my new mains is due

to be installed ( moled ) in 25 mm MDPE , the Water companies going to replace the communication pipe under the lead replacement scheme ,

however its been suggested to me to have a 32 mm instead of 25 mm however this falls outside of the lead replacement scheme and this was their reply"

" If you still wish to lay a 32mm and wanted us to do the same out end , we would have to ask you fill in a fittings table to so we get an idea of water usage to ensure its needed. You would also have to fill in a separate application and go through the chargeable upgrade process .

so even if I pay the extra ( I don't have a cost yet but guessing its not cheap ) I'm not guaranteed its allowed ,so when finished my House would

have

1 Kitchen Sink , Downstairs Toilet

1 bath / shower mixer , Basin and Toilet 1st floor

1 Shower , Basin , Toilet 2nd floor

so hence the silly Question is it really worth going up to 32 mm ?

Thanks'

Last edited:
Probably be connected to a 25mm stop tap water board end so as above unless there doing a new tap off

Agree with above, 25mm will be more than adequate. Once in the property it would be downsized to accommodate cylinder fittings etc so no real advantage.

Probably be connected to a 25mm stop tap water board end so as above unless there doing a new tap off
I did contact water board and they can uprate it to a 32 mm but It will cost and take more time ( on the lead replacement scheme they are obliged to do it in a certain timescale ) and I'm not guaranteed it will be allowed as you have to prove you really need it so with the other replies I've seen on here it doesn't look like I really need it anyway so thankyou you for taking the time to reply much appreciated

Agree with above, 25mm will be more than adequate. Once in the property it would be downsized to accommodate cylinder fittings etc so no real advantage.
Yeah it looks like the 32 mm is not necessary so will go with the 25 mm ......Thanks very much for your reply ...all the best

Reply to Mains uprating is 32 mm that much better than 25 mm in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock