Search the forum,

Discuss Mains stopcock stuck in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have a mains stopcock that’s stuck open ( similar as in pic ) it will not turn by hand to close so my plan was this, ive squirted some WD40 into the end where the round part meets the main body I was then going to take handle off and use a spanner to try and move it but before I try this is there anything more I can do ? Like maybe heat a little ? It’s not ancient by any means was new around 9 years ago but has hardly been turned off ( no need as it was a new build ) I can isolate from outside any more suggestions gratefully accepted

F49E93AB-BCC3-4B79-93C6-62F2FF2E951F.png

pair of pliers on the handle inline to give you more leverage

Wd 40 is the universal fix it spray..and is good,, I think it
causes problems later when it evapourates after 6 months or so...just like when you eat a big mac and then want another.
Chain Saw oil or Hydraulic fluid is better in my opinion and hangs around . In your case , turn off in the road and give it plenty but only on weekdays as fitters and BQ stuff is expensive and rubbish at weekends if it all goes really wrong
centralheatking

Part of the issue of it being stuck will be calcification. Mostly this takes place and fuses parts when its turned hard off. By turning it back 1 full turn from hard off you'll minimise it.
You can safely leave the removed mech and stick in descaler (warm water) for an hour to put it back to as new or remove it and simply replace the guts.
When it goes back, remove the packing gland & grease the shaft with a light coating of silicone grease. It'll go on for ever ;)

Find out where the external isolation tap is first. Could be within your boundary, but most likely on pavement or road. Sometimes isolates more than one property, so check with neighbours. Be prepared for outside tap chamber to be full of crud if not touched for some time. If it is inaccessible, then contact water co as its their responsibility to have it working. Once you know you can turn off outside, then start messing with stopcock. They can easily be serviced with a few spanners. You can free a stuck tap by slotting large ring spanner over one side of handle and applying leverage. Some adjustable spanners have a nice hole in handle that can fit well. Move in small increments both ways to loosen off. Always turn back 1/4 - 1/2 turn after fully opening.

With yours being a new build (9 years ago), then boundary stopcock shouldn’t be too hard to locate or be that full of dirt/debris. It could be by your front door though, as many on my new build estate are. All suggestions are very good and informative so follow any of those, it’s probably just binded so should move with little persuasion.

Cheers all it loosened fairly easily with a spanner ....... wish I could say the same for the reason turning it off ...... just needed a new washer for the fill valve ( armitage shanks ) ....now obsolete.... buys new fill valve ...... no access as it’s all boxes in ...... remove boxing ......still not enough access soil pipe in way can’t get to nut buys various spanner ..... no joy ....... pull toilet out ....... flexi only just long enough ....... can’t access nut as it’s covered by cistern ....... cistern off ......happy days new fill valve great and easier hopefully to service ...... reassemble ....... all for a £3 washer .......ps still got the other toilet to do well done armitage shanks lol

Reply to Mains stopcock stuck in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock