Search the forum,

Discuss Mains feed and vent pipe on vented system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I have a boiler to swap on a vented system. The open vent was presently attached straight to the boiler. And the cold feed is tee'd in to the hot water return near the coil. When I install the new boiler (it's staying vented). Would I be best off changing the cold fill postion I will obviously need to alter the open vent as it did originally tee straight off the boiler.

With a view to possibly changing it to what it states in the new boiler manufactors instructions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206_152530_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206_152530_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like it was gravity hot water

and yep either need to adjust one or convert to sealed

It’s prob been semi converted

Thanks so if I keep vented I should really change the cold feed postion? I need to change the vent anyway. Can I ask the reason for the inverted cold? Is it to stop water pumping back in to the head tank? Thanks

Anti gravity loop, stops gravity flow back upto the tank

Been looking through some of my old level 3 books. That shows the cold feed to the system tee'd in to the primary return on a gravity hot water system same. Was this done to try and make the primarys circulate more?

Reply to Mains feed and vent pipe on vented system in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Is it normal for the cold feed pipe from the f&e tank to be combined with the open vent? The cold feed connects to a 22mm tee one end is the vent the other cold feed to rads I thought the vent connects to ch flow and the feed to ch return? Thanks in advance
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
I recently took off an end stop on the vent/expansion pipe over the heating header tank. I now know why it was capped off. When the 2 way valve opens to heat the hot water, water pours out of the vent pipe. I had a heating engineer out, he said get rid, open vented systems are now obsolete...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock