Search the forum,

Discuss Made a shortlist for replacement combi boiler, any advice on these? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rednev

Ive tried to do as much research as possible to try find a replacement for my ageing Potterton Lynx Electronic combi.

I have a gas safe fitter doing the job, but is isnt linked to either brand (so wont get any extended warranties, just the standard ones mentioned below)

I have picked out the following, and left a note with my reasons (costs include fittings and boiler cost):

WORCESTER-BOSCH Greenstar 28CDi = £1250

- 5 year Boiler Guarantee
- 10 year heat Exchange Guarantee
- Peace of mind of large support network, and low risk of shortage of parts in the future.

Cons
- Replacement parts can be pricey, more elements that can go wrong compared to the Intergas like model

Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 = £1219

- 5 year Guarantee
- Stainless Steel Exchange
- Large support network, and low risk of shortage of parts in the future.
- From what I can gather, are a bit easier to access for repairs compared to the Worcester should they be needed

Cons
- Replacement parts can be pricey, more elements that can go wrong compared to the Intergas like model

INTERGAS Combi Compact HRE 24/18 = £1051

- 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger
- 3 year warranty on parts/labour if warranty card registered
- Less parts to go wrong as used in above models
- Seem to get glowing reviews... cant really find any bad ones?
- Cheaper than the other alternatives.

Cons:
- It concerns me that parts may not be available in the future, and support from engineers if needed when warranty ends.

- Upon doing research, some of the parts used in the boiler are not without their issues when other brands have used same parts.

Having a bit of a dilemma on which one to go for, so would appreciate any input.

Cheers

If it where me I'd go for the vaillant. But that's just personal choice and I find them easy to work on and Diagnose faults.

Many on here are advocates of intergas, which is fair enough.

Its all personal choice really. I've seen more to wrong with Worcesters and vaillants, but there are loads more of them about.

Speak to your installer and see what he thinks

Installer is happy to install whatever I am really.

He recommended Worcester or Vaillant, but happy to install the Intergas if I want.

I think its probably a choice between the Vaillant and the Intergas for me.

The Intergas model makes sense to me due to the lack of lots of moving/perishable parts, but I dont want to be left high and dry a few years down the line if they end up a niche product and the parts arent available anymore or I will have to hunt out a specific engineer to carry out repairs.

Your dilemma should be what kind of workmanship do you really expect for about £100 after the costs of materials

You cant go wrong with worcester or vaillant. Neither parts are massivley pricey. Worcester have possibly the best after care of all manufacturers vaillant can be a bit of a pain at times. The vaillants are better built though IMO.

Cant comment on intergas never seen one. Although from pictures of it it is butt ugly lol.

Your dilemma should be what kind of workmanship do you really expect for about £100 after the costs of materials

The costs Ive mentioned do not include labour for fitting. Its the price of the boiler and parts only.

APologies for confusion, but 'fittings' I mean by other parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
intergas arent going anywhere as they arent a small organisation in the european area, just new to the uk and showing some manufacturers the way ahead, how can one box be uglier than another does puzzle me though, and todate I have fitted intergas for around 3 years and no issues but have also fitted wb and had one fail on day 2!!, hence why i stick soley with intergas now,

you see the worcesters and vaillant has to be installed by the accredited installer to get the 5 or 7 years guarantee ,if not will be only 2 years !
I am worcester accredited and that is how I install them , and to be honest will work out cheaper for you if installer supply boiler and all the rest , you will not save by you getting it

I have an email from both Worcester and vaillant confirming the warranty periods I have stated for if the boiler has been fired by a non Worcester / vaillant fitter.

Vaillants give 7yr now when fitted by a vaillant advance fitter

All boilers are rubbish imho if they were actually anygood we would all be at home bored ,

glowworm 10 year warranty

I have an email from both Worcester and vaillant confirming the warranty periods I have stated for if the boiler has been fired by a non Worcester / vaillant fitter.

Vaillants give 7yr now when fitted by a vaillant advance fitter

its imposible to be right , I install worcester and i sign them out with 5 or 7 or 8 , but can only do 2 on vaillant as I am not accredited

it means they are pants everybody argues whats the best what to install but at the end of it they are pretty much all tat , they all go wrong nowadays manufactured parts on boilers are shocking , get a boiler with long warranty

Vaillant for me had issues with Worcester after safes in past. Only thing that puts me off intergas is the offset flue on boiler swops

I agree with H4S. All boiler are sub par in quality IMO, you're better off choosing the one with the best support network. Which is Worcester IME.

Still not convinced by Intergas, I've seen one up close and it didn't seem to be great quality. Its essentially the same setup as a Ferroli Modena, which also had fewer moving parts than other combis, but was forever failing because of sensors, PCBs, pressure switches etc.

... you're better off choosing the one with the best support network. Which is Worcester IME.

Ditto.
That is the basis on which I would choose a boiler for my house.
And it is the same reason our company install mostly WB

Hi all,
I cannot believe the warranty's that you guys are offered in the UK.
We are offered a 12 month warranty from the suppliers and the warranty is generally from the date of purchase.
I usually buy boilers in lots of 6 or 12 ( 6 boilers for the price of 5 or 12 boilers for the price of 10 )
I generally offer my own warranty on the boilers as getting a warranty from the suppliers is not worth the effort or the customer dissatisfaction.
What I call it is " Box Warranty " - as soon as the box is opened the warranty is null and void.
I would love to see an Australian supplier stand up to the plate and offer some of the manufacturers warranty's that you guys are offered.

Oz-Plumber

What do you mean by that SafeGasInstall?

Are you implying we are antiquated or being led down the garden path?

No at all , market is bad here so this is how they manufacture stimulate the sale if new boilers

I agree with H4S. All boiler are sub par in quality IMO, you're better off choosing the one with the best support network. Which is Worcester IME.

Still not convinced by Intergas, I've seen one up close and it didn't seem to be great quality. Its essentially the same setup as a Ferroli Modena, which also had fewer moving parts than other combis, but was forever failing because of sensors, PCBs, pressure switches etc.

Ferroli is a different world of crapness though. The components are poor quality so won't last, just like the vokera compact - no good having no DV or plate hex if the PCB, fan and thermistors go wrong every year.

I would choose Worcester. The guarantee is only as good as the company backing it up! Install the system filter for the additional 1 year guarantee!

Never seen intergas van around, I heard the installer has to honour it!? But then there would be no spares on board like a Worcester service engineer, plus the installer might not be confident in this "rare" boiler

worcester bosch recommended here too

i am accredited installer and they after care is amazing

cheers all.

Im going for the Vaillant now.

A tough decision, as they all had their pros and cons.

Thanks for your feedback.

In my view Vaillant is better than Worcester.

Vaillants are good boilers, but from experience the company & aftercare seriously let them down! They made it nearly impossible for myself to register the extended warranty last time I tried. I hate working on vaillants also, would it be too much hard work for vaillant to put a parts list with numbers in the back of boiler manual!? Not to mention, vaillants attempts to dodge repair work under there warranty by claiming "system water dirty"... I could go on... But won't :)

Vaillants are good boilers, but from experience the company & aftercare seriously let them down! They made it nearly impossible for myself to register the extended warranty last time I tried. I hate working on vaillants also, would it be too much hard work for vaillant to put a parts list with numbers in the back of boiler manual!? Not to mention, vaillants attempts to dodge repair work under there warranty by claiming "system water dirty"... I could go on... But won't :)
But the fact is GS, most systems are still manky dirty when boilers are fitted. In most cases you've got some wrench monkey that's done a six week course in Plumbing, fitting a boiler with very narrow waterways in the heat exchanger. I've listened to phone calls to Technical Help lines, believe me you'd not let these chimps fit a tap washer, let alone a boiler!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Made a shortlist for replacement combi boiler, any advice on these? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock