Search the forum,

Discuss Lvl 1 Qualified 23yrs old Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee123

Hello everybody.

I am 23 years old and currently live in east london. I have completed a level 1 plumbing course in college which i know is not much only soldering and fitting a sink (baby stuff). i have worked since the day after my 16th but regret not doing an apprenticeship at the time. I know plumbing is what i want to do but as i am 23 am i to late for an apprenticeship. i have rung loads of plumbers in my area and they are not intrested in a plumbers mate or even me working for free to show i can work hard and do a good job. I thought fast track would be the best option for me but after a salesman come to my house and told me how great i am that i passed a few tests and that he would want me on the course immediatly if i gave him a ton on the spot i refused and asked him about the 6129 going. he said thats a myth and if i dont have £100 why dont i sell my xbox haha so that made me realise the true colours of these people. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone knows anyone who would like someone whos hard working for a couple of days a week to work for free to give me a chance to show i am worth a job. i am currently working as a labourer for an agency but work is drying up so im avaliable more times them im not lately. what do you think is the best route to take.

Thanks for your time

Lee

I cannot believe they told you the 6129 going was a myth!!!!

He was more interested in taking my money. He got a bit aggressive asking for payment when I asked him questions about the course. Also told me that they will pay for my travel and hotel when I o down to the center for a week. Don't know how true that is either. I just want to start at the bottom and work my way up

Im 20 mate, ive done the 6129 and the trap im in is the plumbers that have got the work want you to have at least an NVQ before they take you on, problem is you cant get the NVQ unless your working with a plumber. O and the NVQ is a grand in itself.
But the 6129 is a good course, I learnt a hell of a lot and its well worth doing, if you can get in with a plumber aswell you will be laughing.

Im 20 mate, ive done the 6129 and the trap im in is the plumbers that have got the work want you to have at least an NVQ before they take you on, problem is you cant get the NVQ unless your working with a plumber. O and the NVQ is a grand in itself.
But the 6129 is a good course, I learnt a hell of a lot and its well worth doing, if you can get in with a plumber aswell you will be laughing.

when i point out to newbies that this can happen im called negative! and these salesmen are taking advantage of 'positive' people

Without a doubt, it aint like ronseal it definatly dont do what it says on the tin. The salesmen sell these course making you think once you pass yourll be earning mega and you can go off on your own and start a business, it aint all sunshine and roses, i know of 1 bloke whos done the 6129, gone off on his own and hes doing well but he was a kitchen and bathroom fitter before he did the course, after doing the course I can solder, hang a rad, fit out a bathroom etc, but theres no way on earth id try it on my own? maybe im not confident enough, but if you ask me the only way to learn it properly is the old fashioned way and learn from a plumber if anything i think these courses make you a good plumbers mate/improver not a plumber.
IMO if you are going to do a 6129... Go though a government bodied provider like a proper college... and try and try and try to get in with a plumber no matter how many knock backs you get.

well said cooper and i agree almost entirely. i do however think the 6129 is a very good course but it needs to be in conjunction with experience. its not a case of which is best, course or expericne, they run hand in hand. one on its own is valuable but not the complete set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lvl 1 Qualified 23yrs old Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock