Search the forum,

Discuss Luke warm water from cold side of mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kirks06

I have an issue where we turn on the cold tap side of a mixer tap and luke warm water appears. In order to get cold water for drinking we need to run the cold tap for at least a minute, wasting loads of water.

This happens across all the mixer taps we have in the house - kitchen; bathroom 1 (bath, not that we drink from the bath tap ! and sink); bathroom 2 (sink); bathroom 3 (sink).

We also have 3 mixer showers in each of the bathrooms.

We have had plumber back to investigate the "luke warm from cold tap issue" as part of much bigger set of issues, where on demanding hot water from any of the showers, not the bath or sink mixer taps, the unvented cylinder system pressure release valve would bounce like a good 'un and vibrate pipework to a level where it would wake the entire house up, not good at 6am when I get up for a shower before work.

The plumber "thought" the issue was a backflow issue due to a faulty mixer cartridge in one of the mixer showers, which he replaced and installed a non-return valve. However, this has not resolved the bouncing valve problem nor the luke warm water issue.

We have lost all faith in the plumber for a number of reasons. But before I engage another plumber I wanted to understand if there is anything I can do to trace which of the mixer taps may be faulty and causing the luke warm water issue.

P.S I work in IT, I am not a plumber, so please please please keep any diagnosis steps to a level where Diane Abbott can understand them ! Thanks Simon

Could be a mains cold pipe run just above a hot pipe for some length. Heat rises from hot pipe and warms water in cold pipe.

Turn off central heating. Avoid drawing off any water, hot or cold, for a couple of hours. Draw cold from a tap. If problem gone, or seems better, could easily be as above.

For the unvented water hammer problem I'd suggest a service of the cylinder by a G3 qualified engineer.

Could be a mains cold pipe run just above a hot pipe for some length. Heat rises from hot pipe and warms water in cold pipe.

Turn off central heating. Avoid drawing off any water, hot or cold, for a couple of hours. Draw cold from a tap. If problem gone, or seems better, could easily be as above.

For the unvented water hammer problem I'd suggest a service of the cylinder by a G3 qualified engineer.
Beat me to it :)
I have this issue in my house, hot and cold pipes that feed my bathroom are run through the cylinder cupboard and in boxing. There's the main flow and return for heating in there too. I 'could' re-route the cold feed to the bathroom but I doubt I ever will...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Luke warm water from cold side of mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold...
Replies
Views
Got intermittent hot water coming the from a combi boiler to kitchen mixer tap when it hits the T junction for the upstairs bath it's hot, but on the other of the T junction to the kitchen mixer tap it's stone cold, anyone any ideas ?
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Hi there, All was good until one day the hot water suddenly started running quite a lot cooler. Putting my hand on the output at the boiler it's still hot there so I'm guessing there's a problem with cold water feeding into the hot water somewhere along the line. I have mixer taps on two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock