Search the forum,

Discuss Low water pressure on newly fitted tap in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I recently fitted a new precision rinse mixer tap in a kitchen and the water pressure is really low. I have checked for leaks and to make sure that the isolator valves and stopcock are open fully. What can I do to improve the water pressure?

Hi, I recently fitted a new precision rinse mixer tap in a kitchen and the water pressure is really low. I have checked for leaks and to make sure that the isolator valves and stopcock are open fully. What can I do to improve the water pressure?

Wondering if being a mixer tap it has non return valves. Those might be in the hoses or in the valve body. After isolating the tap and removing it, see if you can carefully operate the valves with a small screwdriver. Silly questions: Do you have hard water? (Non return valves may then be problematic). Is the tap one that entrains air in the water to save water. Are both hot and cold poor flow? and are they both at mains pressure, it is either off a gravity fed tank. Have a read of the tap installation instructions (internet if not with tap), for advice on all this, and perhaps more.

Cheers,

Roy

Wondering if being a mixer tap it has non return valves. Those might be in the hoses or in the valve body. After isolating the tap and removing it, see if you can carefully operate the valves with a small screwdriver. Silly questions: Do you have hard water? (Non return valves may then be problematic). Is the tap one that entrains air in the water to save water. Are both hot and cold poor flow? and are they both at mains pressure, it is either off a gravity fed tank. Have a read of the tap installation instructions (internet if not with tap), for advice on all this, and perhaps more.

Cheers,

Roy
No, it's not hard water and yes, it's both hot and cold that are suffering low pressure. The rest of the taps in the house are fine and flowing normally. It's just this new tap I have fitted. I have triple checked the fitting instructions and theres no mention about low pressure either on line or with the instructions that came with it. When I unscrew the spray head on the tap the water comes through a little faster/harder but it's still not what it was.

Could be what Roy said or you could have twisted or kinked a hose on installation. Some hoses have very small waterways inside so are better suited to high pressure systems

1. Assuming:
1a. you mean "pre rinse" rather than "precision rinse", and the tap has a pull out hose with an end rather like a small shower head.
1b. By low pressure you mean low flow rate

2. These taps will not work properly on low pressure systems, but should be OK off a combi boiler or an unvented hot water system
3. They premix the hot and cold water inside the tap, not at the outlet from the spout or the nozzle. This requires that they have equal pressure on hot and cold or one will overcome the other and give backflow. Because of this they are often fitted with non-return valves, which will further reduce the pressure, and hence the flow, from the outlet.

1. Assuming:
1a. you mean "pre rinse" rather than "precision rinse", and the tap has a pull out hose with an end rather like a small shower head.
1b. By low pressure you mean low flow rate

2. These taps will not work properly on low pressure systems, but should be OK off a combi boiler or an unvented hot water system
3. They premix the hot and cold water inside the tap, not at the outlet from the spout or the nozzle. This requires that they have equal pressure on hot and cold or one will overcome the other and give backflow. Because of this they are often fitted with non-return valves, which will further reduce the pressure, and hence the flow, from the outlet.
Thank you, this does help a little. The taps I replaced were mixer taps and had a faster flow rate than the precision rinse one I fitted. I do mean precision rinse, that's what the manufactor called it in the fitting instructions and on the box.
Thank you for clearing this up for me, I have explained to my customer as you've explained to me and she understands too.

Reply to Low water pressure on newly fitted tap in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock