Search the forum,

Discuss Low profile wet underfloor heating question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Im just embarking on a house refurbishment of a property I have bought. The house is a 1960's 3600sqft and has 6 beds, 3 baths and 2 kitchens over 4 floors.
I plan to have the hot air heating system decommissioned and have new wet underfloor heating installed throughout. Its likely that I will be using Wunderfloor heating as they seem pretty decent and are well priced. They offer a low profile solution that easily retro fits to existing properties (similar to Nu-Heat). This works well for half of the property but the two floors which have concrete slab I have concerns on the efficiency. How can installing a low profile solution direct on slab work efficiently when it is recommended there be 500m insulation normally? I don't want to embark on a low profile solution if its going to be inefficient!

Ideas would be appreciated.

It's a compromise but will be better than radiators. The nu-heat low profile stuff has polystyrene floor plates and alu spreaders so the heat goes where you want it. Just crack on with it.

biscuits?? yummy! but really I'm not familiar with the biscuit method? Is it not a bit crummy! hahahaa

as you say, on a slab thats there it wont work very well, Ive seen folk remove and relay an old slab to do it properly, hassle but if your going to live there for the next 20 plus years, worth it

More like a biscottie. If you have 8" joists

From bottom of joist 2*1 screwed onto side of joist (screws at 450) then 100mm celotex resting on battens, then a pipe laid in and clipped and then a weak and dry soft sand and cement screed, level with top of joist screw nail or glue boards or ply down. .

Lightly compact screed to increase density. Red sand is the most dense as it's clayish. Foundry sand is amazingly dense.

If smaller joists use thinner insulation / if less than 50mm use a 12mm ply base ontop of the battens before insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
More like a biscottie. If you have 8" joists

From bottom of joist 2*1 screwed onto side of joist (screws at 450) then 100mm celotex resting on battens, then a pipe laid in and clipped and then a weak and dry soft sand and cement screed, level with top of joist screw nail or glue boards or ply down. .

Lightly compact screed to increase density. Red sand is the most dense as it's clayish. Foundry sand is amazingly dense.

If smaller joists use thinner insulation / if less than 50mm use a 12mm ply base ontop of the battens before insulation.
All well an good, but the op is asking about lo pro on existing uninsulated concrete slabs

[Q UOTE=dancinplumba;609233]All well an good, but the op is asking about lo pro on existing uninsulated concrete slabs[/QUOTE]

Only two of them! Rest are timber?

Oh and insulate, insulate, insulate, without it your underfloor won't heat as you require. In other words, you will be cold

[Q UOTE=dancinplumba;609233]All well an good, but the op is asking about lo pro on existing uninsulated concrete slabs

Only two of them! Rest are timber?[/QUOTE]
Yes but those 2 are the ones the op is most concerned about ! !
PS don't need to shout ! ! ! !

Space quilt . Equivalent of 75mm of celotex but equivalent price of 440mm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low profile wet underfloor heating question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock