Search the forum,

Discuss Low pressure in shower after new thermostat fitted in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. This is my first post on here, so please be gentle with me...

We have a house with electric only heating, and all the hot water comes from a dual element immersion tank. Recently the main thermostat failed, causing the hot water tank to boil, and blow back into the cold water header. I changed the thermostat and was limited to what I could use by the size of the head unit - a Heatrae one (7 inch, horizontal) fitted but most others did not. The Heatrae only goes up to 60 C maximum setting, the previous one was set (not by me) to about 70 C.

The problem now is that the hot water flow from our downstairs shower is much lower than before. I can think of two possible reasons:
1) The temperature is too low, so the mixer tap can't get enough hot water to work correctly.
2) There is a blockage caused by something coming lose when the tank boiled.

I think it is probably the first one, but I'm not sure. It might be something else I haven't thought of at all. Is there any way I can tell what is going on, without buying yet another new thermostat?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The problem now is that the hot water flow from our downstairs shower is much lower than before. I can think of two possible reasons:
1) The temperature is too low, so the mixer tap can't get enough hot water to work correctly.
2) There is a blockage caused by something coming lose when the tank boiled.

I think it is probably the first one, but I'm not sure.

If it were the first one, I'd expect the shower to achieve the same flow as before the incident but the temperature of the water being delivered would be too low.

A simple thermostat fault should not have caused a tank to boil. There should also be a safety cut-out to prevent this happening. A boiling tank is very dangerous. I'd recommend you get a qualified plumber to check your system's safety and performance.

Sorry, Chuck, for my lateness in replying. I have fitted a different thermostat (Sunvic 3000), which has partially solved the problem. The temperature is now much better, although not as good as before.

I think that the previous owners of the house has fitted a thermostat without a cutout (or with a faulty cutout) to achieve higher temperatures. It was branded Pullin, and I think that name is now defunct.

Reply to Low pressure in shower after new thermostat fitted in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
S
Pumps and low pressure I moved the bathroom to the back the house (next room) upstairs. I put in two pumps because low pressure water area. One for shower and one for bath. They both work intermittently and I often need to get them started with a magnet! They were new pumps. In the shower the...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals. We've been in our house for over 3 years now, when we moved in the hot water pressure was pretty good (confirmed by a retired plumber family friend)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock