Search the forum,

Discuss Low Mains Water Flow Rate 2 Litres A Minute!!! What Boilers/System Can I Fit?? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

This is my first time posting as I'm a new member so apologies in advance if this has been covered before.

I have recently done a landlords gas check at a property with only 1 gas appliance (heat only boiler) and ended up condemning it as it was ID for many reasons. The landlord asked me to quote for a new boiler and I suggested going for a system conversion from the current Y plan to a combi. I went back around to the property armed with my trusty weir cup and and was horrified, yes, horrified at the flow rate coming out of the kitchen tap, which was two litres a minute! At this point a combi is out of the question, so I'm thinking the only option is to install another heat only boiler to the current system. Are there any other options at this point? Surely an unvented is also out of the question as it would require a decent mains flow rate? I am aprehensive about fitting a modern heat only boiler as the current heating controls are at least 25-30 years old and I would imagine it would be hassle trying to configure them to work with the new boiler. My central heating wiring knowledge is limited so any tips there would be very welcome!

One more thing... I've posted a photo of the incoming mains that feed the property. There is a DIY self cutting outside tap installed right after the third (yes, third) stoptap, which I'm thinking could be a contributing factor to the poor flow rate.

A little more background... I have located the boundry stop tap and made sure it is fully open. I have also fully opened all three stop taps downstream of the 25mm black service pipe. The tenant mentioned that the water supplier came out to the property after complaint and said it is most likely the pipework feeding the house that is at fault and would need replacing to rectify.

What do you think is the best course of action here? Just fit another heat only boiler and wash my hands of it?

Many thanks fellow leaky blinders!!

Attachments

• 20211019_160710.jpg
    20211019_160710.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 21
Yes it could be the existing stopcocks restricting the flow rate. It could also be the self cutting tap affecting it. Did you check the pressure? Heat only would be fine, because it’s the zone valve that brings the heating and hot water demands.

Yes it could be the existing stopcocks restricting the flow rate. It could also be the self cutting tap affecting it. Did you check the pressure? Heat only would be fine, because it’s the zone valve that brings the heating and hot water demands.
Unfortunately didn't have my guage on me so could't check pressure. Think pressure was okay though because if you left the tap off for 20 seconds it would build up and when opening the tap the flow rate would shoot up to 8 litres a minute. Then as the pressure is lost it would return back to 2 litres a min.

Three stop taps in series, presumably two of them stopped working.

I came across your problem at a customer, only two stop taps, the ancient stop tap had disintegrated inside and half of the brass disc that formerly supported the washer had broken off and lodged itself in the exit pathway of the tap - almost no flow.

As a matter of course why not replace the redundant taps with plain pipe - then go from there.

Reply to Low Mains Water Flow Rate 2 Litres A Minute!!! What Boilers/System Can I Fit?? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi all, I've had a WB 8000 35kw boiler installed today and was searching through some websites which talked about range rating your boiler and/or turning down the flow temperature to save on cost. I spoke to the engineer that installed it and he advised against rage rating saying that having 17...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at time it kind of working, only for one at time (and partially hot), depending on the priority in the system. We contacted Valliant for assistance...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock