Search the forum,

Discuss Low hot water pressure in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello people

I've posted about this before but can't get in to the thread to view the answers

I had a mains eco lite 35 boiler installed in my property. Since having the boiler installed the hot water pressure has significantly reduced!

Previously had a glow worm combi boiler and the water pressure with that boiler was really good

Any ideas what could be causing the poor water flow?

I've attached some pictures of the boiler and pipes

Attachments

• 20210404_160117.jpg
    20210404_160117.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210404_160110.jpg
    20210404_160110.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210404_160113.jpg
    20210404_160113.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210404_160100.jpg
    20210404_160100.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 19
Main boilers are relatively inexpensive, so it may be performing to a limited specification, but I'll assume it isn't for now.

I would comment that that installation looks to be particularly poor pipework. Looks like a DIY attempt, from that point of view and I wonder what else the installer got wrong? Was the installer Gas Safe registered?

What’s the litres per minute from cold mains? What was the previous boilers hot water output in litres per minute? Glow worm made a few combi’s. What’s specified in the new boilers output in litres per minute? Was all of this discussed prior to boiler install?

Would say it’s a 24kw so your probably only getting around 8-9 lpm in winter

Would say it’s a 24kw so your probably only getting around 8-9 lpm in winter
Would tend to agree as Google finds no such boiler as Eco Elite 35. Could it be a 24 or 28kW version? We need to hear back from Indi_s otherwise any further speculation is pointless.

i would be more concerned about the 15mm gas line first!!!!!!
Had the installation looked good, I'd be inclined to think it might be a short section only and that the installer had probably calculated this was alright.

As the installation looks a bit amateur, should the OP call out Gas Safe and say they have concerns over the new boiler installation's safety?

Apologies the boiler is a 24kw

The boiler was installed by a gas safe engineer

As for the 15mm pipe he was aware this is incorrect but stated in order to change the pipe he would have to lift tiles and floorboards as the gas meter is in a cupboard under the stairs and the boiler is in the living room

Apologies the boiler is a 24kw

The boiler was installed by a Registered Gas Engineer

As for the 15mm pipe he was aware this is incorrect but stated in order to change the pipe he would have to lift tiles and floorboards as the gas meter is in a cupboard under the stairs and the boiler is in the living room
So the plot thickens 🙄 so you could be suffering with poor hot water because the installer couldn’t be bothered lifting floorboards and tiles, you didn’t want to pay for this to be done, or both?

So the plot thickens 🙄 so you could be suffering with poor hot water because the installer couldn’t be bothered lifting floorboards and tiles, you didn’t want to pay for this to be done, or both?
Not at all I would have been happy to pay but from what he was telling me it was going to cause damage. Plus the old glow worm combi boiler which was installed by the council was on the same gas pipe water flow was amazing

Not at all I would have been happy to pay but from what he was telling me it was going to cause damage. Plus the old glow worm combi boiler which was installed by the council was on the same gas pipe water flow was amazing
Yes, but that would have been suitably gas pipe sized. So if your new boiler requires 22mm or even 28mm, then thats what it should have. Undersized pipes can have an adverse affect on the hot water delivery.

If you’re happy to pay, then I’d recommend the upgrade. If it’s got the correct working pressure, then it might be ok.

The old one could of been a 28kw you will get a bit more flow rate with that

best thing to do is test how long it takes to fill a 1l container via the hot around 7 seconds is correct

Questions to Indi_s - is it 15mm all the way, or just a short section? How many metres (approximately) of 15mm pipe is the gas running through in order to reach the boiler to the meter?

Question to RGIs - can a registered gas installer legally undersize a gas pipe due to difficult installation circumstances?

In short no as it could effect the mixture

also with yours only being 24kw, and the very cold weather it will not bring the cold up as far as normal,
28kw boiler would do better, if you turn your dhw control to full and slow the flow down at the tap you will get hotter water..
still think that 15mm gas should be checked by g. r . engineer.

also with yours only being 24kw, and the very cold weather it will not bring the cold up as far as normal,
28kw boiler would do better, if you turn your dhw control to full and slow the flow down at the tap you will get hotter water..
still think that 15mm gas should be checked by g. r . engineer.
The 15mm gas pipe runs all the way about 10 meters maybe

That’s not good at all

Yes can be dangerous the old boiler might of been ok the new ones these days are gas hungry and need more than the old ones hence most of the time needing to upgrade to 28mm pipes depending on run etc

Yes can be dangerous the old boiler might of been ok the new ones these days are gas hungry and need more than the old ones hence most of the time needing to upgrade to 28mm pipes depending on run etc
You have got me worried ! I will get a gas safe engineer to come out and have a look

To Indi_s You could probably get Gas Safe to come out (for free?). May be worth giving them a phone call and explain the situation.
If we are assuming the old bpiler was 28kW and this one is 24kW, why would the old one need less gas than this one? It's counter-logical - but my logic may be wrong.

Number 1, mi"s , 2 as stated gas hungry at start, 3 if other gas applance on gas starved ,
etc.

Reply to Low hot water pressure in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock