Search the forum,

Discuss Low flow rate in outside and mains cold tap only. Mains pressure combi system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We have been in our house for just over two years, we have always had low pressure in our downstairs cold tap (mixer tap), hot is fine, and also in our outside tap, this branches off the main cold line before it hits the cold side of the tap. (please see images, cold is the right side pipe).

We have had united utilities out and they have said the pressure in the street is fine and also, the pressure in our downstairs bathroom taps, electric shower, dishwasher and washing machine all working fine.

They advised me that it is the flow and not the pressure, i have my suspicion that the lime in the old plaster has corroded the pipe so i started chasing this out but i feel i could go on forever with no result, also a suspicion is the fitting penetrating the pipe to channel water to the outside tap, does anyone have any similar issues and/or experiences with this? any help would be much appreciated. I have attached image that shows the pipe going into the lime plaster and also the fitting to the outside tap.

Thank you.

pipe 3.jpg
pipe.jpg
pipe2.jpg

The outside tap fitting on your pipework is cheap DIY tat and is not fit for purpose nor does it meet water regs. It cuts a piercing point into your pipe there is every possibility that this metal remains in the pipework partially blocking it. My advice would be to cut that section out and re-pipe completely with the correct isolation valve and check valves

Outside tap fitting looks to have a few wraps of self amalgamation tape preventing a leak / flood. Get rid quick .
Check your flow rate by timing discharge of a known volume. Get a pressure gauge to check pressure. Pressure and flow are different but low pressure and low flow generally look the same. You need to know which problem you have.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your quick replys, the pressure is fine elsewhere in the house and all mains fed so it is the flow that is the issue, it is more than likely the fitting to take the water to the outside tap, i will re pipe with a copper tee fitting and new tap,

Thank you again.

Hi,

We have been in our house for just over two years, we have always had low pressure in our downstairs cold tap (mixer tap), hot is fine, and also in our outside tap, this branches off the main cold line before it hits the cold side of the tap. (please see images, cold is the right side pipe).

We have had united utilities out and they have said the pressure in the street is fine and also, the pressure in our downstairs bathroom taps, electric shower, dishwasher and washing machine all working fine.

They advised me that it is the flow and not the pressure, i have my suspicion that the lime in the old plaster has corroded the pipe so i started chasing this out but i feel i could go on forever with no result, also a suspicion is the fitting penetrating the pipe to channel water to the outside tap, does anyone have any similar issues and/or experiences with this? any help would be much appreciated. I have attached image that shows the pipe going into the lime plaster and also the fitting to the outside tap.

Thank you.

View attachment 38254 View attachment 38255 View attachment 38256

What condition are the taps in?

What condition are the taps in?
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Both inside and outside taps are in good condition, although cheap, i also find it too coincidental that they are the only two taps in the house that have low flow and it not being an issue in the line?

Do you think it could be something else?

Cheers.

Hi. Taps cartrige might be scaled up or rubber gone. And yes that quick connection for outside tap is no good for flow too ;) good luck

Reply to Low flow rate in outside and mains cold tap only. Mains pressure combi system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock