Search the forum,

Discuss Loud whistling when running the shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Our heating system has started whistling very loudly when the shower is being used.

If I run a cold tap, the whistle stops immediately.

If I run a hot tap, the pitch of the whistle changes.

The noise is not coming from the boiler (Ideal Icos) which is in the kitchen, it is coming from the 'tank' (A-Class BoilerMate OV) in the upstairs airing cupboard.

The heating system was installed 12 years ago ('new' build), but the shower which is a bar-type, was only installed about year ago (replacing a previous bar-type shower)

It only seems to happen first thing in the morning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Pin

Possibly the ball valve and float in the hot water tank in the loft?

Hi,

I don't have a tank in the roof/loft, but there is a small tank in the airing cupboard on top of the main tank. It looks pretty grim inside.

Some pics:

IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4963.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG

Thank you.
Pin

*edited pics*

Last edited:
Morning,

In true style it did not make a sound during the first shower use, but it did on the second.

I recorded it with my iPhone microphone pointed at the base of the BoilerMate, near all the pipes.

0-10 seconds is normal/background. No water running.
@ 11 seconds: I ran the bathroom sink hot water tap.
@ 55 seconds: I turned the shower on.
@ 5 min 31 seconds: I turned the shower off.
@ 5 min 57 seconds: Something ?pump? switches off.

Hot Water Whistle 150519.PNG

Looks like this site does not support uploading audio file formats, so I have renamed the .mp4 to .pdf in order to upload it. To replay the audio download it to your PC and rename it back to .mp4.

Thanks
Pin

Attachments

• Hot Water Whistle 150519.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 8
Hard to say. It could still be a pump problem but Personally I would be looking at getting a pro in.

Reply to Loud whistling when running the shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock