Search the forum,

Discuss Loud clunking noise hot tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning,

We’re having our en suite done and since the work started I’ve noticed a loud clunk after we turn the hot tap off in the kitchen. Obviously, the water was turned off and the central heating drained. Could it be something to do with that? I asked the plumber and he said it won’t be the pipe work they’re doing as theirs in plastic.

Is there a reason why it would suddenly start making the noise? Is there an easy fix? I’ve read maybe to try and turn the stopcock a bit to reduce the pressure?

Thanks in advance.

You could try closing stop tap a bit it won't reduce pressure but will reduce volume..
Strictly speaking stop taps should be fully open quarter turn back.
If you're having problems with too much pressure you need to fit a pressure reducing valve.
Or try having a shock arrester fitted also check for unclipped pipework.

As above, it sounds like a shock wave moving back through pipework and slamming the jumper down inside the stop tap. It could be loose pipework or even another stop tap somewhere. If it started after the Plumbing work was carried out then it is likely to be related in someway, even if it is just that the Plumber closed the stop tap.
It is very unlikely to be the Plumbers fault.

Reply to Loud clunking noise hot tap in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hello, Hope you guys can help, I have a conk/clunk noise coming out the cylinder, when I draw hot water from any tap in the house - I’ve checked the pipes and I’m very sure its not water hammer, I will attached couple of recordings to the this post and what my setup looks like. The cylinder is...
Replies
Views
I purchased 2x 1/2” tap gland for my basin because the hot one was faulty. I had to turn the stopcock of in the kitchen. I also had to turn off the mains on the pavement outside. I replaced the glands and the hot is working fine. But the cold tap does not turn off at all, with the new...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Worcester Oil Heatlslave 20/25 that has started making a fairly loud knocking noise and the the pressure gauge flicks a little when the noise thumps. The hot water still works, I've turned off the heating for the time being. Any ideas on what the...
Replies
Views
I have a loud clunking noise coming from the PRV when the cold water is shut off. It has been doing it for at least a year now but its getting annoying and I have noticed in the night (when the water pressure rises) I am getting random clunks from this valve after about 11pm at night. I am...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock